Friday, April 17, 2009

 

Sad wet friday

What a day - it was exceedingly wet rain today.
Never mind - the gardens and trees love it.
I look out at the trees out the front and really relish the brilliant green which suddenly fills the world.
Oh dear! Is this really the last spring in which we can enjoy "our" trees?
This morning we both worked - although, Bill doesn't see my tasks as real work, I know.
I described for EBay. The 9 items done today will be listed tomorrow afternoon and these will be the last I list until we return from Thailand.
Bill cleaned the bedroom and changed the bed.
There has been sadness this week and shows how it is important to be in touch regularly.
I sent a sort of newsletter Email to people on Wednesday evening.
I hesitated and didn't send to our good friend Bill Dack, who we had got to know in Slovenia. We knew he was having treatment for an incurable cancer and I wondered if he would care about news from us. Normally he would - but not that evening. For that is when he died.
Another of my mails did reach a camera club colleague (from many years ago) and he has emailed back to tell us that his wife died a few weeks ago. Lynda had also been battling with cancer - for 12 years.
With that thought in mind Bill phoned his cousin in Australia - today is her 60th birthday.
Diane has also had a shave with death recently it seems.
But thank goodness for our tiscali contract - no extra charge to chat away to Diane for nearly an hour.
After lunch we drove up to the East Surrey Hospital. The car parking charge has gone up - from £2 to £3. That's a massive increase. I really wouldn't mind if the profits went into hospital funds; but of course the money we pay ends up in the bank account of the car parking company who runs the car park - and the shareholders.
Because of this we choose to park in the golf club car park - at least the money is used for a local amenity.
I had an appointment to see the stoma nurse.
I might have ignored my concerns for a little longer, but felt I should have an opinion before leaving the country.
A small blister developed close to the stoma and this now looks red and raw - but doesn't actually feel too bad.
Julie had a look and felt sure there is nothing to worry about - but of course skin constantly in contact with a certain bodily fluid might take a long time to heal. She gave me some powder to put over the affected area at bag changing time and will see me again before our trip.
We were not out for very long.
I came back to deal with some maps which had sold on Ebay.
I talked with Ashley for a while and chatted with Jamie.
Its Mam's birthday tomorrow - 3 years ago we were with them all for Mam's 30th birthday, celebrated in Chumphon.
Now for some pictures of the slightly expanded area in Pilgrims which I had hoped to put on here yesterday. I know now what had happened to prevent me doing it.
Don't forget to click on the picture if you would like to see the range of stock on my shelves more clearly.
We added the shelf on the right, which forms an L shape with the shelves that were there already against the wall.

A few items which create nostalgia for childhood.


I call this the "masculine" end, which is daft really because I love it all.
It now has some of Bill's bits - including the mantel clock.


The 1950s and 60s bits that I love to have.
I actually sold one of the Homemaker plates on Monday.

And another view of the new shelf in place. I have put more "pretty" things on this shelf and glass.
The forecast for tomorrow is good - clear skies for much of the day. Hooray!
We will be off to Ford early in the morning.
Breakfast in Littlehampton!
Goodnight.