Saturday, April 11, 2009

 

Pish and action.

"Pish".....
That's the word for today.
It was used by a friend of our nephew to comment on the weather in South East England.
I certainly uttered some such word first thing this morning when Bill peered through the curtains at 6 o'clock and reported that it was raining.
Obviously this Saturday was not suitable for a trip south to Ford and Littlehampton.

But I was determined not to feel as flat as yesterday.
So I planned some action.
When we are next in the shop (next Thursday) we want to add a bigger shelf into my area and probably take out the little red one that I have.
Bill will also be able to put some larger things into my area, which doesn't have room for.
The wooden shelves, that were in Rocking Horse, have been used in our garage for storing all sorts of stock waiting for its turn.
Bill took out one set of wooden shelves and we put in its place a couple of the folding shelves.
This led to a bit of a tidy up and rearranging of all the stock so that similar things are together.

Bill took the old TV to the dump - and pulled muscles in his hand lugging it about. It was big heavy thing.

Another activity this morning was studying a set of photographs that have been sent of a distant relation's wedding ( on my side of the family).
It looked a very stylish affair in the USA.
As yet, not all the relevant people in the UK have heard about this wedding so I will add no more.

In the late afternoon I sold some Playfair cricket annuals from the 1950s and 60s. I also sold a couple of Bible commentaries of the books of some Old Testament prophets. I offered them to Ashley before listing them on EBay - but he felt that his theology was taking him somewhere different. This Easter weekend it is taking him into church a lot and it is meaning a great deal to him.

This evening has felt like a Saturday winter evening - although the curtains were not pulled across until 8 o'clock.
I roasted a chicken and we enjoyed a good roast dinner and watched the Dr. Who Special.
The specials are a little less good than the stories which are serialised. I think the given time is too short to develop characters and themes.
But we enjoyed it nevertheless.

And so this evening we look towards tomorrow. I regret the Met office web site suggests that it will be PISH once again.
I would like to go to the boot sale at Dorking. But who knows.
The site seems to tell us that the morning rain will clear by lunch time.... I certainly hope so, for we are timekeeping at the local track. We can't let people down again.
But with a poor weather forecast we must regret the demise of our old track and facilities, where the timekeepers could work in the dry and not end up with soggy paperwork when it was raining.

It was a better day then for me - a little more achieved.
Goodnight.