Thursday, April 02, 2009

 

Thursday ramblings

I haven't really managed to persuade myself to do very much this evening.
Of course I feel tired - my chest feels tight and my voice threatens to disappear from time to time.
But I think it is because today in the shop has felt a bit flat.
It hasn't been like a Monday.
We have worked with Jill who is friendly and pleasant. But I always feel I have to be on my best behaviour with Jill. She has her way of things being done.
There is some tension that Jill feels towards some others in the shop. Jill has been part of Pilgrims for many years and there is an unspoken resentment of people who came from another shop that closed - and it is a couple of those people who took over running Pilgrims. It is almost like they stole Jill's baby!
But honestly she says and does nothing that might upset me - just so long as I manage to give the impression of acknowledging who is the boss.
I spent a little while going through my stock book, deciding to reduce some things in price. Some I would just like to be be rid of and there are other things which have ridiculously high prices. I look back and wonder what I was on when I viewed some of the things and plucked a price out of thin air.
Jo came in for a while with her daughter - carrying a beautiful tiled and marble topped wash stand. It looked to be very heavy.
I wonder who might have the job of moving it when it sells!

It had been quite misty when we left home this morning - but by midday we had blues skies and sunshine again.
It is a lovely drive home on a spring evening with the blackthorn blossom filling the hedgerows and milkmaids and primroses flowering along the verges.

And this might be the day when the world's financial problems have been solved. I have been too long in this world to believe that of course - but it was good to see some seeming agreement between so many leaders.

And whilst I was browsing the news pages on the BBC website I came across this gem.....

Sisters 'make people happy'

Researchers quizzed 571 people aged 17 to 25 about their lives and found those who grew up with sisters were more likely to be happy and balanced.

However, brothers seemed to have the alternative effect.
"Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families."


Oh dear me - now I feel guilty for not having provided Jamie and Ashley with a sister!
But at least I can be proud of being a sister!!!!