Wednesday, March 25, 2009

 

More coughing and parcels. Glynllifon in Wales.

And so it goes on - coughing that is.
I am not ill, but energy is draining away. Bill has the bug too.
Bill took the car to Tates this morning for its 1st birthday service. That's an expensive business and we have to do it to keep the guarantees in place.
But how come they can charge us for 5 litres of oil, when the car only takes 4 litres?
Later we walked in the sunshine and chilly wind to post parcels.
There are now more parcels to be posted because I had things selling today.
Two items of crested china have done quite well, but I was surprised not to have sold the cat with a crest for Odiham. I would have thought that would be rarer than a goose for Sheffield or a post box for Bradford.
But then the number of people who have connections with Odiham is considerably less than for the Yorkshire cities.
Anyway this afternoon I have been wrapping and dealing with the sales.
And I can now start sharing with you some photographs from Wales.
I am breaking each episode into even smaller sections, so I should have photos for several days to come.
Today there are pictures from Glynllifon, which was once a grand mansion with extensive grounds.
The Glyn or Wynn family lived there for some centuries.
The present house was built around 1840 - after the previous one was destroyed by fire.
But life changed and the family could no longer afford such a property.
Everybody can now enjoy a stroll through the grounds - for a small charge. We confess that we paid nothing; the little shop was closed and there was nobody about.
Last Thursday we were there with Peter and Jean.
They have lived in North Wales for many years now - but we knew them first in Crawley.
Jean and I were in the same year at school, whilst Bill and Pete trained as motor mechanics at the same time.
This was our second visit to the park - having been there almost exactly 10 years ago.
Today I have selected pictures which show various things that caught our eye as we walked....and talked. Tomorrow I will post pictures of the 4 of us.