Friday, March 20, 2009

 

Magical mountains

Oh how tired I am and my legs ache!
But it was all worth it.
This morning we drove to the top of the pass above Llanberis and then walked along The Miners Track.
It was glorious. The majestic mountains of Snowdonia and the lakes set against a brilliant blue sky.
Such joy and peace filled me.
And lots of memories too of the day over 30 years ago when we took that path - not thinking that we would end up on the summit of Snowdon.
Today we definitely were not attempting that.
Anybody who knows the Miners Track will realise that at first the path is very easy but the final mile to the top is very steep and might have been beyond my fragile body and balance.
Though maybe one of the longer, gentler paths just might be possible.
But we walked a long way - further than I have walked for quite a long time.
I was eager for each magical footstep onward. There will of course be views to share with you next week.
We had lunch in Bethesda - a friendly little cafe. I was touched by our waitress - a young girl with mongolism. She was welcoming, but handed me the paper and pencil to write down the order.
Then we spent a while in Annies - a branch of Ashley's favourite charity shop.
The shop was manned by a friendly chatty woman who had lived for some years - guess where! Crawley! North Wales is full of people from Crawley it seems!
We bought 2 bags of books and a few items of clothing.
Then it was time to hurry and collect Ekatarina from school.
We called in at Home Bargains on the way back to Orme Road.
How does that shop do it? Sell for such low prices I mean.
We bought bottles of drink for the journey home - £1.59 in the motorway services and just 39p in Home Bargains.
Of course we didn't just buy drink.
I have cooked this evening - chicken in red wine - courtesy of a Lidl special offer with potatoes and veg.
And now I feel like being in bed.
So, good night.