Thursday, March 12, 2009

 

A day in parts - good parts and bad parts.

The morning...... then the afternoon. And apologies to Roger and Sue, for the first part of this is a direct copy of my lunchtime EMail.

A morning of mixed fortunes.
It began by rushing around so that Bill could get to his doctor's appointment for just gone 9 o'clock.
The good news is that we had the brisk walking that we should have more of.
I had decided to go with him so that we could walk on into town.
The bad news was that Bill's appointment was not in Brighton Road, but over at Ifield.
So we doubled the amount of brisk walking and hurried back home so that Bill could drive over to Ifield.
Bill saw Dr Oliver and began by asking if he could be given something for memory loss!
Bill and Dr O seem to get on pretty well.
And the very good news is that there is nothing other than getting older wrong with Bill at the moment - discounting all the things controlled by medication.

Now back to the bad news.
I get anxious moments worrying about our trip to Thailand. Have I said that the airline have said one thing and the agent has told us the opposite about whether our luggage would be automatically transferred to the second plane at Bangkok airport?
I rang the airline this morning and for the 3rd time was told that there is nothing in place for the luggage to be transferred.
She (lady at EVA) said that we could try to sort it out when we check in on May 7th at Heathrow.
I explained that this was not a solution I was prepared for and explained about medical equipment.
She has now said that she would try and sort something out now and would ring me back.
I am so mad with the agent - who has always been helpful before, it is true.
I am almost looking forward to phoning him - but not until I have heard from EVA.
At least we have time to get things sorted. We might have to re-book our flight south to Phuket and that might cost us extra. But I must have peace of mind.
The good news is that I am proud that I have decided to step in and deal with this situation.

Bill has been in the town - on the bus. I couldn't go with him because I want to be here when the EVA lady rings.
He has bought a little basket drawer unit to fit beside the wash basin.
And he went to the Town Hall and talked with the planning officer. The only thing that is likely to happen outside our house in the short term is that there would be a change of ownership. The Primary Care Trust wish to buy it.
There are no plans about the layout of the new health centre. We are not sure how the neighbour who we talked with last week knew that the building would be at our end of the land.
The planning officer doesn't see much point putting in objections merely to the change of ownership. Objections should come when we see plans.
He did say that the land would be sold solely for the purpose of a medical centre.
Perhaps this all a mixture of good and bad news.

There is then the interval time - the lunchtime game of Boggle.

And now to the afternoon......
The lady from EVA Air rang. She assures me that she has been able to sort things out and that our baggage will be transferred from their plane to the Bangkok Air plane which will take us south to Phuket.
I then rang Dial a Flyte intending to give Reece - the one who we have always dealt with - a piece of my mind for giving us false information. Instead I got Reece wanting to give EVA Air a hard time for not reading ticketing details properly.
He assured me that EVA had received the "X message", which the kindly lady had told me was needed, about 3 weeks ago.
It doesn't matter who is at fault - just as long as our baggage is not left going round and round the carousel at Bangkok Airport and nobody knowing whose responsibility it is.
I think I shall feel some anxiety now until we arrive at Phuket - hopefully to find our baggage and that there was nothing to be anxious about.
It will just make packing hand luggage a bit more complicated because there are certain "bag" type items that I simply cannot be without and all the other bag paraphernalia. And of course spare clothes in case of the unthinkable leaks.

Then we went out - a load for the dump and a box for the hospice shop.
Then to Lidl for more of the thin, tasty and not chewy salami type sausages that I love. A quick bite of one of those takes away the nasty taste of the calcium medication I am now on.
We didn't need much - but I did buy 3 packs of the salami sausages so that I would have some to take to Wales next week.

I have also described things ready for listing on EBay.
I have a fascinating little book - the collected letters written and received by the vicar of Pagham in 1929 concerning arrangements for the needs of royal visitors. George V and Queen Mary stayed at a country house after the King's near fatal illness and the Sussex sea air clearly did him good, for he recovered.
I also have a book about the history of the lifeboat service at Selsey - not too far from Pagham.
And a book, lovingly written, about the history of "Our Old Upminster" - then somewhat rural and now a London suburb.
I love the books I buy to sell and enjoy my brief encounters with them - well, hopefully they will not be with me for too long.

In most people's lives there is a 3rd part to the day - the evening.
But I often don't have the energy for much and at about this time - its half past eight - I start to look forward to bed time. Though I usually don't actually get to bed until nearer 11 o'clock.

Goodnight.