Wednesday, April 01, 2009

 

Medical alarms and wonderful blossoms and blue skies.

Yesterday evening I wrote about the one step back in this life of feeling below par.
Today, for a while, it seemed like I might have made a great many steps back.
But more of that in a minute.

There should have been pictures on the blog again tonight - but time and energy have slipped away.
This afternoon Bill and I visited "our" garden at Nymans.
These are "our" gardens because they are so close to home and we can visit for nothing, whenever we want. Of course its not really for nothing - we had to pay to become members of The National Trust first.
The flowering shrubs, daffodils and trees were superb and the skies were a glorious blue.

The morning was spent on routine things. I described 10 items for EBay.
Bill went to collect his medication, dropped off a box at the charity shop and bought some bread.
Yes, all just routine.

My routine was interrupted by a phone call just before lunch.
It was one of the doctors at our surgery.
She was very concerned about my blood test results. My blood sugar level was very low.
I assured that if I felt run down at all (which I do) it was the result of the coughing.
But it was necessary to check me out as soon as possible.
An appointment was made for twenty to five.
So our afternoon walk in the gardens was tinged with some anxiety.
But I needn't have worried. It took no time at all for a small amount of blood to be taken from a finger tip and tested on the marker paper.
Blood sugar levels were just fine.
Something had gone wrong with the samples taken yesterday. I do hope that the results for all the other chemicals have not been affected or my appointment next week will be useless. I think I should check this out.

I have coughed less today but got throaty and wheezy during the afternoon.
This could indicate that a thought I had might be correct.
Too many flowers!
Last night before bed time I took an anti histamine. My eyes were really sore and watery.
This led me to wonder if perhaps the whole chesty feeling - and dry cough might be allergy related.
I have commented in previous years on my need to take antihistamines at this season, when the tree pollen can be intense.
There is no answer to that - except I will continue on the anti histamines anyway.
Of course Bill has felt the same sort of thing - though he has had a runny nose too.
He was never much of the allergic type, but the drugs he is on for rheumatoid arthritis do lower the power of the immune system and who knows what can result?
One advantage of the antihistamines is that they contribute towards deeper sleep - despite claiming to be non drowsy.

I will end with heartfelt thanks to Bill.
He has sorted a computer problem.
Last November this computer was moved out of the room to make way for the kitchen fitter.
It immediately started to behave badly and has done so ever since.
The lettering, in any font, was feeble and difficult to read.
I felt I should just put up with it, though Bill tried some clicking on things to see if he could make improvements.
This evening he found what had gone wrong - though we'll never know why. I certainly hadn't changed the setting that had moved - wouldn't have known how to.
It is lovely to be sure how many letter 'l' I have put in a word, for example.

It might be the antihistamines, or the fresh air, or the general run down feeling after all the coughing - whatever - I have felt so tired this evening and dropped off a couple of times on the sofa.
But at least I can be sure it is not caused by dangerously low blood sugar levels.
And I can relax to know that my team of local doctors are so quick to try and sort out potential problems.

Tomorrow we are in the shop again.