Monday, April 06, 2009

 

Monday is shop day

It has been an enjoyable day in the shop - good people to be with and interesting customers to talk to.

Julie didn't stay all that long. She injured her hand doing gardening yesterday. She described her injury as "losing a bit of meat from the back of the hand".
She had a patchwork of little plasters over her hand and went out to buy something better. But the changing of the plaster set off more bleeding.
At her age she must be careful of wounds because things heal more slowly. She has a history of problems and had time in hospital and weeks out of action from a similar injury on her leg which got infected.
So, I hope Julie will heal really soon and will not develop problems.

One problem not resolved today is the missing envelopes problem. Bill put them in the safe last Thursday and they seem to have disappeared. There must be a simple solution - and yet I am not sure that we are going to find it.
My lack of confidence in life has led me to wonder if somebody hasn't deliberately had a go at Bill and me. The dealers in finer antiques than things we sell might not be glad that our sort are in the shop. Monika told me not to be so silly.
But then she showed her own similar lack of confidence later as she displayed some of her vintage clothes - for she knew full well that not everybody would approve.
But bless her - she needn't have worried because she has sold 2 items during the day.

Bill and I sold nothing for ourselves - in fact we have not had a particularly good week. A woman came to try and sell us things, but we had to decline for they were just not good enough. Though I still might end up paying over the odds for 2 cigarette card albums.
One customer was one who we saw quite a lot of in Rocking Horse. Bless him he remembered that I was due for my major surgery and sounded genuinely pleased when he commented how well I was looking. He bought a tea set - he must be the only dealer I know who can successfully sell tea sets these days.

The weather has been good - I enjoyed my walk to the Post Office with parcels. A camera is on its way to Hong Kong now.
We had the back door of the shop open for a while - but in fact the interior of the shop still feels chilly.

That customer may I have thought I looked well - and so I am; but I am still tired. I fell asleep after dinner watching half an hour's TV.
I shall be interested to hear what my blood tests show when I see the consultant (well, one of his minions) tomorrow afternoon. Mind you I do fear that what I will hear is "Go and have another blood test and make another appointment" If the sample was giving poor readings on blood sugar levels then perhaps it was for everything else too.

Time for a cup of tea and then bed. Goodnight.