Monday, April 13, 2009

 

Happy New Year to the Thai people.

What day is it?
After a 4 day weekend I am beginning to lose my ability to sense the day.
Today, of course, has felt like a Sunday all over again.

We got up early - not raining, thank goodness.
We were away from home shortly after half past six.
It was quite misty first thing. In fact on Reigate Hill it was foggy.
But the sun broke through later on and it has felt quite warm.

The car boot sale at Epsom was already well under way when we arrived and didn't look too big. But as we browsed the stalls we didn't notice just how many more cars were driving on to the field to set up stalls.
Our plan had been to look for stock on the first time round and then walk back the way we had come looking for clothes and things for the home - and anything else not spotted the first time.
But in fact one trip was enough.
We didn't actually buy very much, but I am pleased with the things I have bought for the shop.
It was a china and glass morning and I found very few books.
We did buy some clothes too.
I have a dress that I hope will fit - its a winter dress really. I have a couple of cotton tops which can be taken to Thailand and we found some trousers - 2 pairs for Bill and one for me at 50p each.

Thailand, is of course, a worry.
These "troubles" are brewing and smouldering and have been for the last 3 years (maybe more).
Who knows where things are heading?
I am keeping my eyes on the BBC and Thai news web sites. The Foreign Office is now advising not travelling to Bangkok. But we don't actually go into the city - just change planes at the airport.
I hope it will settle down - and no doubt it will; though nothing will have been resolved and trouble will flare again.
My biggest fear for the country is a combination of the death of the king (revered as a God almost) and the return of the ex prime minister Thaksin. Both would have a big de-stabilising effect. The king has reigned for almost 63 years now.
Please let him live until after our visit is over!
I have read no rumours that his health is poor, so I am sure he will reign on for a while longer yet.
At the moment life for the majority of Thais continues as normal - definitely so on Phuket.
Although this weekend is far from normal - it is the Thai New Year (Songkran). Traditionally people are sprayed with water to symbolise cleansing for the new year. In practice the spraying has turned into total drenching with huge water pistols - anybody out and about can expect to get soaked.

I am sure there will be Songkran pictures on Jamie's blog very soon.
Meanwhile here are Jamie and Jessica 3 years ago celebrating Songkran in the garden.

After the car boot sale we drove into central Epsom. It is a pleasant small town.
We went to a cafe for breakfast.
Eating out can often be a really sociable occasion - its part of the pleasure.
Today we chatted with a man at the next table - he had been a special needs teacher until he retired last year.
The breakfast was good. Our companion told us that in his opinion it was the best cafe in town.
We'll go again when next in Epsom.
This afternoon we sorted out our purchases and they are stowed on the shelves in the garage.
It is strange not to have them in a box ready for the shop - my brain tells me it is Monday tomorrow!
We are actually in again on Thursday.
Ans so another pleasant day draws to a close. I am sure I shall feel tired tomorrow. But I do feel less lethargic again. I am sure that my return to some discipline with my eating regime is helping - wheat free (in addition to dairy free) is the best way forward for me.
Bill is watching a big blockbuster film on TV about King Arthur.
I will make him a cup of coffee very soon.
I might take my cup of tea up to bed.
Goodnight.