Thursday, January 22, 2009

 

The pleasures and pains of the Guildford Road.

Is it really permitted to say we enjoyed taking Jane to Guildford for her radiotherapy today?
Cancer and its treatment was for so long something hardly to be mentioned and many other words were used rather than utter the terrible diagnosis.
Jane is pretty upbeat about her situation, though I am sure there are dark days sometimes, in the privacy of her own home.
She has adopted a "What will be, will be" attitude and takes each day at a time.
She has endured other difficult health situations and the strategy for dealing with things was largely in place when this latest diagnosis was made.
She talked a lot, of course, about the grandchildren - Henry and his very recently arrived baby sister, Isobel. Isobel now has a second name - Jane.
The radiotherapy treatment doesn't take very long and today there was nobody else for Jane to see.

As Jane seemed almost as fit as normal and feeling well in control of the situation, I suggested we have a little adventure.
On the way home we pass a place I have long thought we should explore - never did it when I was back and forth to Guildford in 1991 and 1992. Things were a little different. I was having chemo therapy and the anti sickness drug I was given at that hospital gave me the heeby jeebies.
My muscles just wouldn't relax and I would find myself standing up, sitting down, walking around in sheer desperation. By the time we were half way home sitting still in the car was a nightmare.
I know treatment moves on rapidly - but I think the old cancer hospital at Guildford, where I went, were not in tune with all that could be done. When I pushed to be transferred to The Royal Marsden there was much relief because they offered a range of anti sickness drugs and those awful symptoms recede into memory.

Anyway - back to today's adventure and the journey home from Guildford. I used to hate that road because of what was happening to me.
But today we stopped at the Old brick Kilns near Cranleigh. It turns out that Jane has also talked
of exploring there.
The old brick kilns were converted into a range of little shops, work shops and offices many years ago. (1980's)
There is also a cafe.
We stopped at the cafe for a pot of tea and toasted tea cakes.
It felt very good.

As we walked back to the car I saw in the window of a little shop something that I thought Mam would like and so we entered the shop - which actually was a lovely dress shop - bridal dresses and ball gowns.
Now I don't want a ball gown and I would not feel I needed to buy a new one (cos I don't buy brand new clothes), but judging by things I have seen on TV the prices of the gowns at £60 - £70 pounds seemed quite reasonable for a tasteful little boutique.
Needless to say I haven't bought a ball or bridal gown for Mam!
But the item remains a surprise until we go to Thailand in May.

We dropped Jane off at home and then went to Lidl to get cold meats and vegetables mostly - but of course bought a little more.
Lunch was not taken until half past two.

This afternoon I described 10 postcards - just singles, rather than the bundles that I am also sorting out.
One got a bid very quickly.













This card of the early 1900's showing F G Heist outside his furnishing ironmonger's shop in East Street Horsham would be a £40 postcard I think...... if only it were in good condition.
But it is in poor condition - fit for the rubbish bin, some would say.
I just thought that somebody would like it - and it seems they do.
Maybe - the bidding might bring me a little more money than the 95p I started it off at.

And now I am idling, soon to have a cup of tea.
My gut feels fragile - could it have been the tea cake (wheat) or the butter (milk)? I really should have asked if they had a little jam instead of butter - but I just thought a little couldn't hurt me.
Stupid of me!

Goodnight.