Tuesday, January 20, 2009

 

Good luck Mr President! And good luck me!

This has been a bitty day but maybe I have moved a little bit forward.

For one family in America it has been a momentous day of course. I confess at the start that President Obama is of the same sort of political persuasion as me; but I have become more cynical - he is a politician and his hands will be tied by the considerations of needing to keep people on side - people with the power within the economy and industry and also the people with the power of the vote.
And there are people who we haven't heard of today who are opposed to his vision of how he hopes he could make things be, or start to be.
Have they sat watching their televisions spitting and cursing whilst others have wept with joy?
I feel sorry for them that they can't look forward with some optimism and that they can't see what so many people round the world are seeing.
Good luck to President Obama I say.

But back to my day.
It began on the dot of 5.29, just as it so often does. I wonder why that moment wakes me.
I didn't stay in bed for very long . I came down and described 6 bundles of postcards for EBay. I have had a box of all sorts of odds and ends that I don't want and would not find a place in Pilgrims. I am collecting together only postcards of Dorking, and the immediate towns and villages around, for the shop.
They are now listed - priced at under a pound a bundle. I hope they might sell for more than that, but above all I hope they sell.

Later on Bill had an appointment to see the nurse at the doctor's.
I was planning to go with him and on to look at more bathroom fittings.
As I stepped out of the door I had to rush back in and he went alone - I had a "bag" problem. Just thought I would let you know that there are these difficulties from time to time still - but not too often. Thank goodness I was not already out and about when it happened.
Bill had his blood pressure checked - and all is very well. He was weighed - and yes, he should lose a bit. His blood tests reveal no problems. He has to deliver a "wee" sample tomorrow morning.

Bill came back to collect me and we went to see what the warehouse, where Jim the plumber gets his stock, had on offer. They don't really have a showroom, but they were helpful and as we talked, in walked Jim. Now that was really helpful. We now know what we want. Jim will return to us on Thursday and then will be able to fit about 3 weeks later.

This afternoon I dabbled with this and that.
Finally I did plan the biography of Grandad Monk for the web pages. Poor William - we know very little and I wonder what there was to know.
He was born - moved around a bit - but not far from Charlwood. He married his brother's widow and gave her more children. He worked I guess - but achieved little. He died in a mental institution, maybe as the result of some sort of dementia. He had not been able to cope alone after Louisa died.

Then it was time for me to go to the doctor's. I saw Dr Oliver. He is trying me on yet another different calcium and vitamin D product. Of course I will take it dutifully - but the possible side effects are just the same as the other things that have been prescribed.
I talked with him about SAD.
He was helpful - but his knowledge of the light boxes that are available comes only from reading, but he feels that there is compelling evidence for their effectiveness.
He offered an anti depressant. I have refused at this stage. He suggests I start on one in October next winter and I should perhaps take him up on that. It is best to start before the illness sets in. And I will get a light box. Dr Oliver offered the advice that is important to get the right box. I told him I had read this on the site of the SAD association and he said go back and use their advice.
But the one I want costs £200. Nevertheless my well being is worth that - it would be wonderful to avoid the long months of not feeling right. It is hard to explain depression to one who doesn't suffer - but lets just say it causes a sort of paralysis of your brain. The brain still has its intelligence, but it won't do all that is wisest and best, for it doesn't know how to.
If I didn't make a list of all the things to be done each day - from the very trivial to starting bigger projects I don't think I would do anything.
On the list for tomorrow will be "Order a light box". "Collect calcium medication" and I have EBay things finishing. There are Emails to write and Grandad Monk's life to write up for posterity.

So, we keep moving forward - very slowly.
Goodnight.