Thursday, January 15, 2009

 

Today's achievements.

Some things have been achieved today.


Perhaps the most useful potentially is my decision to see the doctor.
I had trouble with the calcium drinks I had to drink last year and I was then put on chewable calcium and vitamin D tablets.
I was wary of them because of the digestive disturbances that the previous concoction had caused.
I didn't take the tablets anything like as much as the prescribed dose - and my calcium levels were down.
So, I promised I would take them - and the digestive disturbances are back...... big time!
It has been getting increasingly bad for some weeks.
The consultant did say he might have to think of offering a different way of taking it and I think I want that now. I am not sure if the GP can arrange that for me.
I will stop taking the tablets and make an appointment tomorrow. It is not urgent, so I am not sure when I shall be seen.

At lunchtime I had an achievement which put a smile on my face I can tell you!
I was playing Boggle - the normal midday fight between brother and sister and sister in law - and all the other people who happen to be playing at the same time around the world,
I am happy to be able to be ahead of Roger, in his noisy and often disturbing lunchtime school room. See - Roger I am allowing you your excuses!
But he also is able to trounce me on occasions too.
But just once today - I beat everybody playing.
My name - monkland119 - was at the top of the leaderboard.


I have described and listed 7 more items for EBay today. Bill also described a large model lorry.
I love the hope of a good sale - wonder what will happen to our treasures this time.


This afternoon I wrote a biography.
As you may recall I have pushed myself to continue working on the family history web pages.
There are so many of these biographies still to be written, including some of our own generation and many about those in the later generations.
But I decided I would use records, certificates, photographs etc to record the life of Louisa, Bill's Monk grandmother.














This is a picture taken at a family wedding in February 1941 . Louisa is on the right with Bill's grandfather.
She is aged about 62. She looks much older - she had a very hard life I think.
I look at her and realise that in that picture she is younger than I am now.

The other people - for those who might have an interest are from left to right......
Rosa Brand - Bill's Nannie
Sam Brand - Bill's Grandad
Doris Monk (nee Brand) - Bill's mother.
Pat, daughter of Rose Monk (sister of bride) and Bill's cousin.
The other girl bridesmaid was a family friend.
The groom is Bill Brand - Bill's mother's brother. (Uncle Bill)
Behind him is the groom's brother Edward (Ned).
The bride is Lily Monk - sister of Bill's father. (Aunty Pink).
Then William and Louisa Monk - parents of the bride.

I still have her 2 Monk husbands to do. That's William (in the photo above) and Abraham his brother who died in 1906. They will come next.

I am quite pleased with what I have done - and the feeling of satisfaction should spur me on to do more.
I am pleased that I have managed to hyperlink too. So now when you come to a person's name you can click on that and find their story too.


It seems like Jim the plumber has forgotten his promise to call in this evening.
My instincts are to buy from B &Q and use plumbers that they have on their books. I would imagine that B&Q are quite choosy about people they are agents for; they would not want to risk their repuation.
I'll have to see what Bill thinks.
B &Q not only have half price items just now, but also half price fitting.

So that's it for today. I forgot to watch Masterchef - yet again!
Goodnight.