Sunday, January 11, 2009

 

Sunday in the Stables.

It was still quite chilly first thing - a tiny amount of snow had fallen overnight.
It was very dark at six o'clock and my throat was sore.
No - I didn't want to get up.
I made some tea and we listened to Good Morning Sunday - hooray, Aled Jones played the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah!

Once up, we realised that the frost, ice and snow were vanishing before our eyes.
I hatched a plan to go hunting after all.
Sometimes we go to Stable Antiques in Storrington.














It is a tumble down old building full of higgledy piggledy areas which sellers rent.
We have noticed before that during January some of the sellers have a half price sale and nobody is outrageously expensive.
We set off in the sunshine and behind the windows of the car it felt almost like Spring was on its way.
It was a good move going to Stable because we could be sure of seeing things that we might find interesting. The boot sale might have had very little for us.
It was very cold in there - there is no heating except in the one room where the owner of the shop sits and takes the money.
I popped in and out to him to create a pile of things I wanted to buy.
Soon our browsing round the 2 floors had produced quite a few interesting things to take to Dorking and hopefully to make a bit of profit on.
I have some jelly moulds, a 1937 coronation mug by a stylish pottery, a doll, some blue glass items, an Edwardian leather bag, 2 lovely framed prints (must look up the artist), Bill has an old brass blow lamp and some keys for clockwork toys.
I enjoyed the trip and the chat with the owner, but we were glad to get back in the car to drive home and get warm.

The first job, once home, was to make a phone call to wish little John a Happy Birthday.
Both he and Jessica chat away on the phone as if we were really familiar to them.
They have had a good weekend with a lovely party yesterday evening. A friend had arranged a bouncy castle for the children to play on, whilst the adults ate and drank.
I do hope there will be some pictures coming through this week - Jamie.

I have spent the afternoon cleaning and preparing all the things bought this morning for sale in Pilgrims. We have a box full to take with us tomorrow.

The temperature has reached the dizzy heights of 8 degrees today. The rain will be with us soon I guess.
My sore throat has got no worse - maybe I am successfully fighting off a cold again.

Have a good week.