Sunday, January 18, 2009

 

Sunday. A boot sale and work.

Well, we have been to a car boot sale after seven weeks.
I doubt that it was worth it, unless you count the fact of getting up early and attempting to be joyful in the hunt for bargains.
It had rained so hard yesterday evening and into the night and the winds were fierce.
But at half past six it was dry enough.
And so we took the familiar road to Dorking.
We greeted Jo and Monika, also out on the prowl.
But the number of stall holders was small and many of the regular traders were missing.
I bought a few things and realised that amongst them were a couple of items that will make very good family Christmas or birthday presents.
We got back home and cooked some eggs and bacon.
And then prepared things that we want to take to the shop tomorrow.
Hopefully there will be spaces - Monika suggested that there were quite a few envelopes in the safe for us this week.
I have wrapped 5 items which sold today on EBay and have dealt with some payments. The money from today's and Friday's sales is coming in slowly. As long as it arrives.
Jim the plumber has been round to see what we are needing in the bathroom and will bring catalogues of fittings tomorrow. He will fit a power shower for us - better than the one we have attached to the taps and put up with for years.
I made sure that I had understood some of Roger's instructions about researching family history.
So many people are at it - Jo went onto the 1911 census yesterday for the first time.
I found nothing new. I checked my strategies looking at known people.
Then I looked for Ellises again.
Where are they all?
Apart from those that would seem to be in the workhouse that is.
The courtmartialled great uncle Edward has not yet been found by us in the 1911 census. No Edward Ellis matches his birth year exactly- although both of them listed have the right named wife!
This evening I have watched The Antiques Roadshow and Lark Rise to Candleford.
I feel a bit screwed up tonight - hope I sleep.
Goodnight.