Monday, January 19, 2009

 

On duty in Dorking

This has been an OK day.
I worked hard on social skills and did my best to be friendly and pleasant - and it worked.
So I felt happier too.
I don't think winter depression is over - just like that; as with any other illness that we face, you have to try and make the best of it.

But this has been a day when some survey or other that the media picked up on was supposed to be a hazardous day with a tendency for people to feel depressed or on edge or just plain cross with self and the world.
I hope the day has been better than that for you.
Amongst my facebook contacts I have so far seen a wonderful spelling of a scream and the tale of a twisted ankle and falling flat on the face.
So - not a good day for everybody.

As Monika had predicted there were loads of envelopes with money in for us to collect in Pilgrims. My sales were generally for low priced items and it amounted to less than Bill's this week. But the important thing is to keep selling.
I had 8 envelopes, Bill had four and poor old French Julie who got her envelopes at the same time had but one.
Julie loves to talk - and she seems to love to talk to me.
I like that she for she is a dear.
Monika was in and out a lot - as usual.
On Saturday we are going to a theatrical production in North Holmwood village hall and for some reason that we can't fathom, Monika has taken it as her responsibility to make sure all the tickets are sold. She phones and cajoles people to take posters or tickets for much of the day; this takes her out of the shop a lot to see people.
Anyway, we are going - and apparently Monika has arranged that she and her friends should have the front row!
Monika also spent time filling up boxes because she has booked a stall at an antiques fair tomorrow - for she is desperate for some cash back in her purse.
Bill and I popped out for a short while to take the parcels to the post office. At least I had a short walk in the day light - not sunlight, for it was grey and gloomy. "It will rain soon" said Bill - and a couple of minutes later it did just that.
I spent a while cleaning the shop kitchen today. It wasn't too bad really, but I like to see it gleaming.
I am not sure about the mince pies in the microwave though - are they the same 4 that were in there a week ago?
We didn't eat out in Dorking today - we had tasty Thai noodles that I did in that microwave - having removed the mince pies first of course!
I haven't mentioned customers yet - there were some, but not as many as I would have liked. It was disappointing after lots of sales during last week that there were none for either of us today.
But our areas are looking good - with the fresh stock fitted into place.
Right - time to drink (not alcohol, for sadly it doesn't really agree with me anymore - I would love a good beer sometimes; think I'll risk it one day).
Tomorrow there are medical appointments. Bill has been called in to review the blood pressure situation - appointment in the morning. I will see Dr Oliver in the afternoon.

So, goodnight from us in monkland.