Saturday, December 27, 2008

 

A Welsh Christmas time - with English bugs! No - not Pete and Jean!

It is proving very difficult to engage in normality.
This short week seems to have been long - was it only a few days ago that we were busy in the Dorking shop?
Those few days have been dominated by how my body was feeling - waves of nausea at times, making life difficult to cope with.
I am physically fragile - I have continued to lose weight, being half stone down in the space of a week.
Of course I had looked at the reading on the scales a while ago and thought that maybe I should try to get back to a weight half a stone lighter than I had become - but I think a gradual increase of discipline would have been a better way of doing it.
Bill has had similar gut problems - but without the nausea.
As a result of all this we came back from Wales a day early, getting back late yesterday evening.
I felt a bit weepy about leaving without a night with Ashley and a bedtime story with Ekatarina.
Why does my body have to take away things I want to do?
The weepiness might be just part of feeling so run down, but I have feared at times that the nausea has been caused by high potassium. I imagined, in the night, a visit to A&E and a demand for a blood test to see what is happening.
But despite all this both Bill and I managed to enjoy Christmas Day with Pete and Jean and their friend, Andrew - who became a widower at the beginning of the year.
We talked and laughed and all was at it should be.
It was calm and relaxing and we are very grateful to P & J for their hospitality.
I will share some pictures with you - maybe tomorrow.
We managed to, at least, see Ashley and Ekatarina on 3 of the days we were away. On Christmas Eve I enjoyed helping Ecky find some presents to give to her parents. It was a pity that time was marching on and we only had the stock in Home Bargains to choose from. But it was not the gifts so much that mattered; it was a chance for Ecky to feel some excitement about giving as well as receiving.
Today has felt empty - we are physically drained and mentally feel quite low.
We watched a film this afternoon on TV.
Bill went to buy bread and milk, but gave up trying to get into Asda for the car park was jam packed with people trying to find spaces. He said trolleys were being wheeled out piled high with food. Why?
I shall go to bed soon and hope against hope that I start to come back to life very soon. I really want to prove my fitness to Bill, because I do want to be in the shop on Monday. I believe that snatching some normality will be a boost to my psyche.
Hope you, reading this, had a Christmas time as you wanted - though many have been down with bugs of all kinds.