Monday, December 15, 2008

 

On duty with the Monday crew and Dorking Drama.

It has been a pleasant day in Dorking.
I like Mondays now.
The Monday crew work well together.
Bill and I have sold enough this week - in fact it looks like my new section has been discovered and I sold another item today.
I spent some of this morning sitting at a cafe table (the cafe is not open on Mondays - only Tuesdays and Saturdays) writing up more books to put on my shelves.

There has been drama in Dorking today because a fire burned in an old building where there are offices and a Ceylon restaurant on the ground floor. The fire is presumed to have started in the restaurant.
Ha! It will soon be round Dorking that it started in a chip pan! Bill had been out to see what was going and reported roads closed and smoke billowing out of the building and mused that perhaps it started in a chip pan. Monika, bless her - sweet and gullible has been telling people when she went out that she knew the cause!
There were 10 fire appliances in attendance and masses of police and a police helicopter from above. The local radio says that the fire service will need to be there most of the night checking out all the nooks and crannies.
Traffic for miles around has been in chaos - but shopping in the High Street was a pleasure with no traffic.
But we got away this evening and out of the town very easily.
On my trip out from Pilgrims to post parcels I called into Woolworths - maybe for the last time. I bought one of our diary/calendars for the kitchen wall down in price to £1.39.
Woolworths has been a High Street landmark for all of my life and much longer - but times change. On the radio this evening we were advised that other high Street fixtures will go the same way in the new year.

We are both yawning like mad and will have an early night. At least, so far, we are bug free. Many of the contacts on Facebook are not so lucky.