Saturday, December 13, 2008

 

The Rocking Horse Family.

I would like to complain about the weather - but feel I should show restraint having read Roger's email.
At least our roads were passable, though some care was needed in places.
It has rained and rained - hard all day.
And yes - it does make me feel like complaining and escaping!

We drove south to join the Rocking Horse family at Joy and Peter's house and it was lovely for us all to be together again - though sadly Christine couldn't be there for she was having to deal with a flood at her house under the South Downs at Ditchling.
I was really grateful for the lovely food that Joy had prepared, a lot of which I felt I could safely eat.
I am back to some discipline with my diet.
Lately things have gone haywire.
I think wheat and bread in particular are to me rather like alcohol to an alcoholic.
One taste and I am addicted again.
One taste doesn't hurt - but when I succumb to a daily intake of wheat I end up suffering.
And today was our 4th social gathering in 4 days. A buffet normally comprises bread and wheat based items - and I tucked in with gusto.
Stupidly I have also partaken of the bread that Bill had in the bread bin.
After the talk at the post card club last night I needed to make a quick exit and hope that I would soon feel more comfortable. I just couldn't eat any of the food people had supplied - all wheat based.
The talk was amazing - a 59 year old Horsham woman set off on her bicycle alone round the world in 2000. She entertained and inspired - though I have to accept limitations and I am not off on a journey of such proportions.
Today at Joy's I enjoyed some cooked delicate salmon, prawns and rice salad and left the bread and pies to the others. And I declined all puddings, although they looked fantastic.
Talking to the others who moved from Rocking Horse to a shop in Lewes made me feel glad that we are in Pilgrims. The Lewes shop doesn't have a sense of family and friendship and people who rent sections don't have to contribute time - though they all seem to be doing well financially.
I am glad that we have moved to a new antiques shop family.
The evening has been spent with the TV - Strictly Come Dancing and X Factor. I shall have a cup of tea with X Factor results in a moment. Will the great British public choose well? Alexandra is a super star who can create a tingle up the spine and I hope she wins, though the boy group are also good. The Irish lad is cute and sweet and will appeal to teenage girls and the motherly types no doubt - and especially the Irish.
And hey! I am actually motherly too!
Sorry - others haven't a clue of the appeal of this show.
I am not sure what we will do tomorrow. If the rain has stopped I would like a boot sale - I feel withdrawal symptoms without regular hunting trips. We would go to Dorking and Horly.
But for now - goodnight and back to the singing.