Tuesday, December 09, 2008

 

Medical matters and a birth

Today has been a medical day.
This morning I was with the nurse for the latest B12 injection - over quickly, but that one hurts as the medication goes in. Well, not too much I guess.
Bill went over to collect our various drugs and chemicals from the chemist which we had ordered at the end of last week.

This afternoon we were at Crawley hospital for me to see one of the endocrinology team.
Despite the quietness of the atmosphere at Crawley, without all the hurley burley at East Surrey, we had to wait an hour to be seen.
I met a new doctor - Dr Zacharias, who was friendly and helpful.
All my chemicals are in balance except one.
And that might be my fault!
I had to own up that I haven't taken all my Calcium and Vitamin D tablets as prescribed. Stupid of me! I rarely miss anything else.
The doctor was about to start prescribing something with a much higher dose, but has decided to wait 4 months to see if taking the right dose of the tablets will make the necessary difference. There is just a chance that I am not absorbing enough anyway - so that might mean more injections. I don't know.
I felt like a naughty girl being found out!
I promise I will chew my calcium tablets twice a day - after all I don't want osteoporosis or any other related problems. I have awkward splits on my finger nails which might be caused by my foolishness.
The one I had worried about a little was potassium. And that level was just right. With a little thought and care I think I have that one dealt with now.

I shall have a quiet evening. I had a disturbed night and read for an hour or so.
I am reading the latest Maeve Binchy, which is a collection of short stories all set at the Christmas tide.

For many the Christmas tide is well under way. Trees can be see through half drawn curtains and outdoor decorations are appearing.
I appreciate the efforts of people who light up their houses with great and glorious images - I guess the decorations become like a sort of hobby.
And as Frieda once said "It must be nice to have a hobby!"
Bill and I take delight in travelling around to see what people have done.

Our first house was close to where Pete and Jean were staying last week.
We took pictures and chatted with the man whose passion was his lights.
He actually was distraught because yobs had cut the wires on one of his displays.
This is especially horrible because he is collecting money for the NSPCC.

I must add that it is quite hard to catch the full splendour of the lights - but I am sure we will try more on an another evening.



This was the view as we approached the house.
The space between the lights and the pavement should have been a sea of blue - but it was these lights that had been damaged.









The garage of the house had been converted into a stable, complete with Mary, Joseph, the baby Jesus, shepherds, kings, angel and many animals - including an owl at the head of the manger.