Monday, December 01, 2008

 

Settling into the new Monday routine at Pilgrims.

Hello,
This has been a busy and pleasant day - but, oh so cold!
I don't think the shop warmed up at all. I think something will have to be done about heating if Stephen and Judy really wish to pursue the idea of a cafe. It was too cold to sit and enjoy a cuppa and a sandwich today - not that they were on offer. The cafe opens just 3 days a week at the moment, and although it is a good idea to have a warm cafe at the heart of the shop I think my preference is for it not to survive; it is being organised in a too amateurish way.
And it needs to be heated up for the people on duty and their customers too.
Today we worked with Julie and Monika, and later John.
Monika is a character - with high expectations of her life as an antiques dealer, but always broke. I like her.
But I think she will manage to find reasons to scarper off and leave Bill and I in charge - which suits us just fine!
Julie is very sweet - an aged French lady. She is almost 80 and I think just a bit doddery and forgetful, but having space in Pilgrims gives her life a lot of meaning. She has been dabbling in antiques for very many years.
John does Monday afternoons. He deals mostly in barometers. But he also has a proper job - he delivers teeth! He transports the dentures, crowns etc made by the dental technicians to the dentists.
I think Bill found it good to have some male company.
But I think John is going to ask Stephen if he need come at all on Monday afternoons, because he does find it difficult sometimes. And now Bill and I are there the number of people on duty outweighs the need.
But today we have been busy with customers and there were lots of sales......but none for me!
At one point when Bill and I were in charge we had a Shelley dinner service to wrap up.
It has been fun.
Of course Bill and I had to finish off our areas. Bill had a lot more to do than me.
It is already hard to believe that the one small area only yesterday morning contained our joint stock.
The sections we have now look so right for us.
See what you think - there are a few pictures below. If you want greater detail then click on each picture to enlarge them.
I found it hard to get good pictures in my area. Some parts are very well lit and other shelves look a bit darker. I had flash on and some of the pictures I took look very bleached out - these I will not bother to share with you.


This view shows my trusty old shelves which have travelled from shop to shop over the years with the china and glass - mostly.
It is divided into sections by colour or because it is mostly kitchen ware, or juvenile or commemorative royalty and so on.


This is the beginning of my new book section.
The top shelf concentrates on books and china connected with Dorking and the surrounding towns and villages (mostly).


This shows my section and Jo's beyond it. Jo now has 2 areas in the shop.


Mostly reds and pinks.

Mostly things for the housewife - cooking and needlecrafts.

Mostly things connected with royal events. The large plate is for Queen Victoria's diamond Jubilee.


Bill's section. He used to have just the right hand cabinet whilst my china and glass etc was in the 2 left hand bits. Now he can spread and use it all.
To the right of the picture is the window display - not yet the Christmas window.


The cabinet on the left is kept locked. If I get something small and valuable it will have to go in this lockable cabinet because I have opted not to lock anything away in my area.


Another view of Bill's shelves.