Wednesday, November 26, 2008

 

We made it to Ikea today

We are sitting here, Bill and I, each at our own computers.
Bill is doing a competition on the YouGov survey page.
He is calling out the questions and I am looking up the answers.
Quite fun.

And I guess the trip to Ikea was quite fun.
We don't seem to find it the hell that some others do. People think they have to walk round in a set pattern, looking at all the departments - and yes it is possible to do that.
But it is also possible to take short cuts and head just for the things you are looking for, having already looked in the catalogue or on line.
We had specific things to get - some for Ruth.
I now have a very cheap, but attractive enough extra shelf for Pilgrims. It is metal and bright red and cost £7.99. It makes me feel more positive about my new area.
OK - we did succumb to a sort of impulse buy. It is something we have talked about. We need a new bathroom cabinet and/or mirror.
We bought something about 40 years ago and there was space enough to put a small mirrored tile in to use whilst shaving etc. It was set at a height convenient to Bill. I always had to crane my neck a bit and no doubt the boys had to stoop a lot by the time they became men.
And Bill has got shorter over the years, so now he has to stretch his neck to see his chin in the mirror.
And goodness know how visitors have coped!
So we have bought a new cupboard with a big mirror.
I don't know when it will get put on the wall. We have some rolls of wall paper (bought at a car boot sale) which will have to be put up first.
And the kitchen floor is of greater priority.

After returning our cushions and buying our things it was time for lunch. I opted for the pumpkin and sunflower seed strudel again with mixed root vegetables and Bill had Swedish meat balls.

We were home shortly after 3 o'clock.

This evening I have enjoyed chatting with a customer who came to collect his 95p post card. I must write him a positive feedback shortly.

Tomorrow is a day in the shop. We may not be there all day. Hilary is going to start doing more than she is obliged to do once again and do all the Thursdays, except when she is doing an antiques fair. We will do those 5 Thursdays in the year.
I suspect that by mid afternoon it will seem pointless for us to be there and we can leave Jill and Hilary to finish the day's trading.
I won't take extra stock in because on Sunday and Monday I shall be setting up the new area.
We will take one set of wooden shelves in because we don't have room for 2 sets in the car - not made up; and Bill doesn't want to have to unscrew everything and then rebuild them.
I am now looking forward to the hard work and the new creation - I hope it will be successful enough.

Goodnight.