Thursday, November 27, 2008

 

Shop day in Pilgrims

It was a good day in Dorking - a chance to be sociable and helpful.
I spent most of the morning sitting in what will be my area, with Judy. My first impression of Judy was of a rather daunting headmistressy sort of character, but, like the rest if us, she has her own hang ups and vulnerabilities.
She is about 70, but can appear younger than her years.
Some weeks after the cafe organiser gave up she decided to push Stephen to re-open it and she would run it with his help.
I still feel unsure that it is the right thing to do because she doesn't have the experience to make it seem really comfortable and homely.
And she charges a lot for slices of the Marks and Spencers cake! But maybe thats how the good people of Dorking like it.
She serves soup and toasted sandwiches too - well, at least the sandwiches are prepared by hand!
But today she was quite busy in the cafe and she is happy.
The cafe only opens 3 days in the week and she wonders if I would like to serve food to anybody who asks on Mondays. I don't think I want to do it on a formal basis - just make a cup of tea for a customer maybe, as if they were a friend.
Anyway I worked a bit for Judy today - washing up things because I think the little kitchen gets untidy and then Judy gets muddled.
I am not completely sure that health and safety regulations are being adhered to.

I spent a little while this afternoon at the shop desk, and took money for things and wrapped.
There was no money for me or Bill today. In the last 2 weeks Bill has sold pretty well but it looks like I shall only just cover my costs.
But I am happy too and I look forward to creating my new area on Sunday and Monday. Bill will also have to work on our existing little area to make it his own.

We left a little early because there were more than enough people in to cover the duties and I knew Jill and Hilary would stay until 5 o'clock. They live quite close together near Croydon and have become good friends, though they are very different people.

This evening I have watched our favourite soaps and continued with the Roman Empire (time wasting computer game - Bill is doing Babylon). I still have fears that I shall fail at the level I am on and be knocked back to Level 42 (isn't that a pop group?) Well - Ashley and Mo will understand!

Tomorrow I am out in the morning. I am joining Ruth with Felix and Otto at a toddlers' music club in Horsham.

Right, time for a drink and to catch up with the dreadful news from Mumbai. Of course the situation in Thailand feels closer to us - but at least it is only destructive demonstrations rather than killing terrorism. Jamie is most frustrated by it all and wishes there could be the election the demonstrators want. Then everybody could see how democratic the Peoples' Democratic Party actually is - he is sure they would not be voted into into power.

And fancy a UK High Street without a Woolworths on it - looks like it will happen. I told people this a couple of months ago (having heard on radio 5) and people wouldn't believe me!

Goodnight.