Sunday, November 30, 2008

 

Exciting new world in Dorking for us.

My title yesterday centred on it being a wet grey November day - and today was just the same.
We have been to Dorking - but not for the car boot sale.
We had a leisurely cup of tea in bed before loading up the car and setting off.

The work in the shop is not yet complete - so pictures will wait until tomorrow.
But I am so pleased with the result.
My new area looks like.....well it looks "my" space.
It is bright and cheerful and full of interest - and I shall keep it that way.
I have another box of things to fit onto the shelves tomorrow - which will mean moving some of my less important pieces up of down a bit.
Bill made a start on his enlarged area and it will look good and I hope he continues to do well.

We got in nobody's way today because the pair who planned to do the Christmas window did not appear.
Jonathan one of the other dealers came in and he knew that one of the window decorators was not too well.
Jonathan is friendly and cheerful. He rents a lot of space in the shop. I presume he buys a lot at auction.
He does no duties. He gets round this by giving his dross to a couple of ladies (maybe more) who do the duty and have whatever is made from the tat. To be fair some of it is quite nice, but clearly doesn't fit in with Jonathan's image of himself as fine antiques dealer.
It seems the ladies love him - but he is not a "lady's man" - if you get my drift.

We were busy for close on 4 hours. It was still raining when we left and got home for a welcome lunch.
This afternoon I have wrapped books which sold on EBay - 5 out of 6 sold today. The best seller of the day was a book listing and describing the history of London's traditional pie and mash and eel shops, which still abound.
I have never eaten eels.
This evening we had a pork and vegetables done in a lime, coriander and red chilli sauce. It was very delicately flavoured. We have more for tomorrow. On Tuesday I shall mince up further remains and make pork meat balls. The bargain piece of meat for £3 will have lasted us 4 days.

It will soon be bedtime. And then we repeat the day tomorrow - back to Dorking. There will be less work to do, although hopefully the customers could keep everybody busy.
Goodnight.