Sunday, December 14, 2008

 

Winter work and hibernation.

Hibernation mode set in today.
Plans to get up and go to the boot sales were abandoned as we lolled in bed and breakfasted late.

I have been busy writing lots of Emails - as perhaps you realise, having received one.
Of course my basic message was the same, but every message had personal individual bits added.
There were about 50 of them today and another 30 or so in the last couple of days.
And I have been blessed with one or two replies already and a long phone call.

We have put up our Christmas decorations. The extent becomes more "minimalist" every year. Though a true minimalist would just freeze in horror at our shelf crowded with plastic Christmas "tat".
We have a wooden tree, hung with many of the old familiar little toys - even the gnome that was on a potted plant given to me by a pupil after my first term of teaching.
We have a plastic tree - 1950s in style which has to be plugged in to create a faint light.
I will take a photo another day.

This afternoon I have worked - EBaying.
In September I had a battle of wills with another dealer at the boot sale at Faygate.
I bent and picked up some football annuals and so did he at the same moment.
We both waited to see what would happen.
He knew I had got the best ones.... and in the end he released the ones he had.
I bought 21 of them for £20.
Ten days ago I listed the oldest 7. Most were pre war and I had high hopes.
My hopes were exceeded - today the 7 sold for £140; one of them reaching almost £50 on its own.

I felt very tired as I worked. Surely I am just tired and not succumbing to the nasty bug that so many have.
Ashley describes the head ache from hell!
Jamie felt like he was going down with the bug that Jessica has.
I would grumble about winter - but of course for Jamie it is not.

Yesterday I felt I should refrain from grumbling about the weather - rain and floods. But I will mention that floods have hit the part of town where I grew up and it has been on TV today - a nursing home had to be evacuated.
I remember walking along the road to the edge of the floods where the Mole had burst its banks as a child - creeping carefully forward in wellington boots.
So the Crawley Councillor claiming it to be a modern problem should think again.

Right - bedtime soon. I have to get up and be organised for a duty day in Pilgrims tomorrow.
Lets hope we have sold enough - and if not, be thankful for the football annuals which have paid the rent.

Goodnight.