Monday, July 21, 2008

 

21st July. Gentle day basically.

Monday has felt like a gentle sort of day, though maybe Bill, who has been cutting the lawns and watering the garden, might not agree.

We needed bread and fuel this morning - I should no longer say that we need "petrol" for the car because it is diesel; but old habits die hard.

So after breakfast we went to Tescos - though Bill couldn't be bothered to queue up there to fill the car, especially as the fuel was the same price as in our local service station.
Fuel consumption for the Berlingo seems good - we have put nothing in for 3 weeks, despite longer trips to car boot sales and going to Dorking.
Bill's calculations suggest that we have been doing 53 miles to the gallon.
We bought bread and things in Tescos.
One treat for me was pea and rice crisps/snacks. These are stick shaped and just like the ones I discovered in Thailand, though these were made in China.

This afternoon I began describing things for Ebay which will be listed so that the auctions finish after Ashley and Ecky have left us.

I have chatted briefly with Jamie - all exhausted after a weekend of parties. It was Jessica's on Saturday (see picture below) and they went to another one yesterday. John could hardly keep his eyes open today!
Another who has not had enough sleep was Ekatarina.
I think she felt a bit unsettled being away from home and didn't sleep too well - and she is unused to sharing a room with 10 other little girls. But she enjoyed the activities and was proud to get her "staying away" badge from Rainbows.

The weather is promising for this week and I think we should plan a day out. Maybe we'll stay close to home tomorrow, because Bill has a physiotherapist appointment in the afternoon.
I must arrange an appointment with the dentist - a broken tooth is getting worse and I fear it may have reached the end of the road.

Now for some pictures from the weekend. I have to say that I think they need clicking on to make them bigger.

The first shows our Jessica and friends enjoying her cake and candles in the dark. It would not have been that late of course - in southern Thailand dusk falls at almost the same time each day whatever the season; about half past six is average.
Then, as promised there are 2 pictures that Bill took at Betchworth yesterday (site of the little village car boot sale we stopped at).

Then there are 2 pictures of a set of wooden nesting dolls that I bought to enjoy and to sell. This set has 10 dolls and cost me only £2. They look quite charming on the kitchen window sill.


I guess the cake is in the box to protect the candle flames from the wind. It is the wet and stormy season in Thailand and this year there seems to have been a lot of rain. Mercifully it kept dry for the party and then rained very hard later in the evening.









The nights are beginning to draw in here - but it is still light at 9 o'clock.
It is beginning to feel a bit chilly - my feet are cold, although I have already shut the back door.
Maybe this week, though, we will get a brief taste of summer.