Friday, July 11, 2008

 

11th July A Godfrey hitch.

Bother!
I thought I was well on the way to sorting the Godfreys out - Bill's grandmother was born Louisa Godfrey.
I am still fairly sure that I have Louisa's parents and the 4 previous generations correct.
But now, my searchings seem to suggest that her great Uncle John (and she did have one I am sure) is not the man I thought he was.
I have a John married to an Ann (or Mary Ann) and 4 named children born at Crockham Hill.
But I have discovered that the named children (part of a much larger family) belong to a different John and Ann in the same area.
I assume that this John is not the brother of Louisa's grandfather - and if he is then I have the 4 previous generations wrong.
It just goes to show that it is wise not assume that discovered things are facts in the first instance.
So now I must search again for a marriage of John Godfrey and Ann (or Mary Ann) Herring and hope that these names are at least correct and then I might be able to discover the name of their children - and to hope that I find that John's parents are the Henry and Lydia that I have assumed.
Sorry - far too much information for people not at all concerned about the Godfreys of about 200 years ago.
Anyway I won't have too much time to think of them over the weekend.
We are determined to get out. Tomorrow we will go to Ford and probably into Littlehampton.
I had thought about finding the award winning restaurant on the sea front - the award was for the interesting architecture. We can feed our eyes on architecture - but not our bodies on the food, I fear. This is a cordon bleu type restaurant where the fish and chips on the menu cost £9 - and other things cost more than that.
This is hardly what we need after a tiring trawl of car boot sale stalls.
On Sunday, when the weather promises to be really good, we will take our boxes to the car boot sale at Pease Pottage and try to sell as much as possible for 50p a time.
So, what of today?
This morning we both set to and did a bit of a clean and tidy of the house.
But we have rested too.
Bill had one of his regular blood tests this afternoon.
I made sausage and mash for dinner - always a great favourite.
We have watched The Tour de France.
And then I couldn't resist watching the first part of a new Superstars competition because it was filmed just up the road at our own sports centre. It must reflect well on the town when one with the stature of Steve Redgrave comments that all towns should have facilities as good as ours.

Finally I offer you our magnificent clematis. It produces thousands of blooms every summer, and people stop to look at it.




Good night.