Friday, July 04, 2008

 

4th July Special date.

I have been slumbering on the sofa for quite a while - tired out again.
It is possible that my visit to the hospital might reveal some causes of the tiredness, yet sleeplessness.

I was seen bang on the appointment time again. At first I was a bit sorry that I was called in to see, not Dr Hillman who has looked after me the last 2 times, but a younger lady doctor - and I failed to catch her name.
But she was just as caring and thorough.

I talked over everything that had been on my mind and soon we were all gazing (me, doctor and Bill) at the computer screen.
Immediately I could see that potassium levels were just fine.
Levels of almost everything are within the normal range - or almost normal.

I told her about the tiredness and the fact that I had had just one Vitamin B12 injection. I had been told that I would start with a week's course.
She said she would write to the GP about this and that I would get a copy of the letter and to take it with me when I get the appointment.
I need that initial boost to really benefit.
She added that she would also ask for chewable calcium tablets to added to my prescription.

She said that Monday's blood was not tested for Vitamin D and so she prepared a form to have another test this morning for they were concerned about that.
Then she added a thyroid test to the form. I have been feeling cold, particularly hands and feet, and this is during a week when other people have grumbled about the heat.
I would never grumble about sunshine heat - it always boosts my energy. And I dearly wish we could have more of it.

The recent blood tests have shown that I am not prone to coeliac disease. In fact I always assumed that it was merely an intolerance rather than a full blown problem. I am undecided about whether it is all wheat, or bread wheat, or anything else. The doctor recommended lots of rice, which I have anyway - including mostly the rice cakes as a replacement for bread, and she thought this was admirable.

I also asked about the white blood count - but saw from the figures that all was well.
I think she thought I was worried about a low blood count (and that was a huge problem whilst on chemo). In fact I was more concerned about a high count.
In 1991 I had a blood test before any diagnosis was made. The nurse told me that the white blood count was very high and that the doctor would talk to me about it. Well, dear Dr Shaw never did talk about it. Later I realised that he might well have surmised from the white blood count that cancer would be found and he chose not to lay his cards all on the table until such time as he knew for sure.
It would explain why he pushed so hard to get me seen without any delay.
But as I could see that the white blood count was very normal, I worked out for myself that at least that indicator of a possible resurgence of cancer was not present.
This should give me great comfort when I go for the CT scan.

Then perhaps the best news - I will be seen again in 4 months. Dr Hillman had suggested that they might hand me back to the GP and I didn't want that. The GPs are very good and kind, but none have the knowledge and understanding of these chemical problems that I would prefer to rely on.

The queue for blood tests was not long and soon the blood was being collected into phials, which I took myself to the test laboratory.

On the way home we went to Lidls. This has now been deemed best value supermarket by no less than independent Which? magazine.
It is cheap and cheerful and if we had one in Crawley I would use it differently. But as we make a special trip and think we might not go again for a few weeks it is all too easy to allow ourselves to buy this and that just because it is good value.

This afternoon I wrapped parcels whilst watching the rather one sided semi final tennis matches at Wimbledon.
I have dealt with invoices and am now aware that some payments have come in.
EBay business is quite slow just now - July and August are not good months for selling, as I said in relation to Pilgrims yesterday.

This evening we watched - or dozed, through a programme about The Tour de France that begins this weekend. It is by such markers as the Wimbledon Finals and the start of Le Tour that I mark the passing of the year.

I might have made this blog entry a tribute to Bill's mother, whose birthday it would have been today. She always added when commenting on the date of her birthday that it was American Independence Day; it is little facts such as these that make us feel special when we are children. It is hard to imagine her as being in her mid 80s - she would have been 86 today. It is hard too to think that almost 21 years have passed since we lost her.

Here is a picture of her with a young Billy.
The forecast for the weekend is for heavy showers, quite strong winds and temperatures not reaching 20 degrees centigrade.
I am not sure what car boot sales we will get too - and I could badly do with a trip to Ford for interesting pieces for Pilgrims. I am pretty sure we will not be selling this weekend.
Now - back to sleep soon, this time in bed. But first some drink.