Saturday, July 05, 2008

 

5th July. Shock horror! British Wimbledon Champion.

It didn't rain!
We have been out and about of course buying up things which we hope will be good for the shelves in Pilgrims.
We opted not to go to Ford yet again. Early this morning there was still the risk of rain and it is a long way to drive to Ford and then find fewer stalls than normal because of the wet conditions.
So we went to Faygate - where there were indeed fewer stalls than normal.
I bought about 4 good things for the shop.
They have been washed, priced and written up in my book.

I then had to deal with payments which had come in for EBay items and get to the post office.

Later we went to Edenbridge in the sunshine. There were lots of stalls and Bill made a few journeys back to the car. Bill bought quite a lot too - including a Mamod stationary steam engine.
Jo was at Edenbridge too - running a stall with her grandson Joshua. I am not sure how they came by L.P.s of poetry - Robert Frost reading his own work and one of W.B. Yeats and his poetry. I will try them on EBay some day.

And I gave in today and enjoyed some fresh fruit. I bought some lovely cherries from a greengrocery man.

We got home expecting to get our purchases sorted, but got involved in the Wimbledon finals.
I don't mean the Williams sisters - boring!
I mean the match when 2 young women battled it out to be Wimbledon champion and the British girl won!!!!! She was very young - only 14 and she beat a Thai girl, 2 years her senior, in a very good match. Girls who become Junior Wimbledon champions seem to get to the top of the tree in later life.
Laura Robson may well have a very bright future in the world of tennis.

I am sure I will have time tomorrow to sort out the afternoon's new stock.

I cooked a roast dinner tonight - the first for ages, which we enjoyed with Dr. Who and a choirs competition.
Choirs are very different from those I was encouraged to be a part of many years ago. I did enjoy the madrigals, the oratorios and so on - but maybe I would have continued for much longer if I had had the chance to perform the wide range of music that choirs tackle today.

The weather forecast still talks of some heavy rain by mid morning tomorrow. We are not selling at a car boot sale, but I think it will be worthwhile driving the mile to Pease Pottage to see what is on offer.

Hope all my friends and family have enjoyed at least some part of this Saturday and will have a good Sunday.
Goodnight.