Sunday, July 20, 2008

 

20th July Glass and racing cars from Epsom.

We were out by 7 o'clock and on the road to Epsom.
The car boot sale there was big (though I have seen it bigger) and peaceful and civilised.
We ambled along the aisles - not getting very far before Bill was making the journey back to the car. This was the first of several trips to offload bags laden with wares.
I am not sure why I am buying so much glass - because it is there is the most obvious answer. Some if it weighs a lot.
Bill bought model cars. On one stall there were 33 of them at a pound each. He decided to see how much they would take for all of them and was pleased to buy them all for £25 and that included a wall shelf to display them and a sturdy plastic box to carry them in.
Our eyes were taken later with a large framed print - it is a slightly erotic Chinese girl on an old fashioned bicycle. Shall we --- shan't we? We tentatively asked the price. "Oh" the stall holder said, "you can have both of them for £1".
So now we have them and wonder where they - or at least one of them might go.
Maybe it is time for the dragons on the stairs to finally to come down.
Bill bought a piece of carpet which he is now laying - not in the house, but in the back of the car!
We left the boot sale at about half past ten and were looking forward to the cafe at Walton on the Hill, but it has changed its name and now doesn't open early on Sunday mornings for lovely breakfasts like scrambled egg and smoked salmon.
So we carried on towards home. In the village of Betchworth we saw a sign to a car boot sale - a small village sale might be interesting although we were a couple of hours after it started.
I am not sure how people did - their stalls still seemed remarkably full. We bought a few bits.
We got home and made some lunch and then we got busy with our purchases. Bill was able to watch the German Grand Prix as he "played" with his 33 racing cars. This was won by Lewis Hamilton again.
I have got a lot of my bits done too.
Ruth called in with Felix - a happy, smiling boy, despite feeling tired.
The British Open Golf finished today - the weather has made it very hard for the players.
And The Tour de France continues - a change of race leader today.
Below are a few pictures of the day. Bill took some too, which are almost certainly better than mine. But he is busy right now with that carpet (or he is talking to a neighbour out there) and I can't ask him to deal with his photos. Maybe I'll put something on the blog tomorrow.



This was the view from the car boot sale at Betchworth - a waving sea of golden barley with the chalk North Downs beyond.




Here are some of my wares - mostly glass. I often unload my bags onto the cooker after a boot sale. Then at least, I know I have to do something with it because a dinner will have to be cooked later in the day. It was Spanish omelette tonight.


Bill was able to sort his cars out in an easy chair watching the Grand Prix.
And so the day draws to a close. I am tired of course; but aching legs and weariness are far better than the feeling rotten which I have been experiencing.
I hope I have got things back under control now.
The carpet fitter has come indoors now and I think I should be making a cuppa for the worker.
Goodnight.