Wednesday, July 16, 2008

 

16th July A date with the scanner.

The evening was spent at the track. I wasn't feeling very lively and found Gerry most tedious to endure. But then I think most people find that. But this is not about Gerry.
The last race finished as the rain started and we scurried up the steps to get under cover as quickly as possible before all our paper work was too soggy to write on.
I suppose the events of the afternoon left me me feeling a bit fragile and sombre.
I had another CT scan - how many litres of that awful tasting liquid have I drunk over the years?
But the hour, given you to get the jug emptied, passes with some conversation with others at different stages of their jugs of contrast medium.
The lady I talked to made my situation seem really tame - breast cancer which recurred during a great amount of treatment in hospital for at least 15 fractures received in a nasty motor bike accident in Spain. She has had more chemo since then and also had to have a hip replacement because the cancer has reached her bones.
So - no grumbles from me about my lot.
The radiographer had the usual problem to find a vein and in the end opted for the back of my hand - ouch!
When pressure is put on the syringe and the dye enters the body a strange overpowering feeling seems to hit every organ.
The scan itself can be quite relaxing really - as long as you breath and hold your breath as instructed.
Soon I was out again, waiting a while to just check that there were no ill effects from the drink or the dye.
This evening my hand is sore - but already feeling easier and for a while I felt a bit queasy.
But it didn't hinder my time keeping skills too much. It probably did me good to get out.
Tomorrow is a shop day - I wonder if we have sold anything much.
We have more things to take with us and so some sort of rearrangement will be necessary.
I shall be off to bed soon.
Goodnight.