Tuesday, May 27, 2008

 

27th May. It stopped rocking for me today.

Brief words for a momentous day.
It has been my last day looking after an antiques shop.
As we left home this morning I felt almost tearful at the prospect of this chapter being over.
I have been in shops for 13 years now and for the most part Tuesdays has been my day.
This last Tuesday was incredibly busy - no time for me to finish all the basic recording of the sales for last week; indeed not time for me to finish my lunch or any of my cups of tea.
For most of the day I was on my own.
I felt so tired by closing time - well a little while after closing time was when the last customer left.
It had been fun to be busy and to talk with the customers - but exhaustion had set in and my body ached.
Perhaps it was my tiredness, but my usual efficiency when sorting out all the money deserted me.
Everybody had sold things and also many people would have to have the fact that amounts from their total has been paid on a card and therefore they would have to wait for that amount of money.
Finally I had to start the lot again - there was no way I was going to walk away on my very last day leaving behind me a complete cock up!
Bill helped me to take my time and eventually we found the errors and everything could be stowed away.
So, at quarter to seven we could walk away - and I felt no emotion except relief that I could go home!
The huge hole in our lives at the closing of Rocking Horse will seem more apparent on other Tuesdays.
And now - quite early - I shall take some tablets to ease my splitting head ache and go to bed.
Goodnight.