Sunday, April 13, 2008

 

13th April. Good buying trip and good sales.

Hooray!
It wasn't raining first thing, so we went out.
The drive to Dorking was lovely with weak sunlight shining through the mist lingering over the fields.

I bought books at Dorking, but forgot to buy fat blocks with seeds for the birds in the front garden.
The woodpecker really appreciates them and fights off the starlings for the best pickings. We also get a jay on the bird table - good to see some larger colourful birds enjoying our hospitality.

We stopped in Horley on the way back - and as usual I just wondered where all the dross on the stalls had come from.
I did find some interesting books finally and I bought some old wooden jig saws, only 2 were really worth saving for EBay, for the others had some faults or no box.
I have written them all up in my stock file.

I set Bill the task of wrapping things for EBay - no books today. I just knew that he would be much better at solving some difficult wrapping problems.
This was the day when my more expensive items would meet their fate and many have done rather well.

The Mickey Mouse milk bottle sold for just over £16 and the Prince Albert/Great Exhibition brass dish sold for almost £20. You just might remeber seeing these. I don't think I have shared with you the Victorian tiles, which I loved - they sold for £26.



Before the auctions ended we drove over to Ardingly to make sure every single space was filled in readiness for all the dealers who should be around for the next 2 or 3 days. This will be the last time that I will feel such a part of the antiques world - no more antiques fairs in the lifetime of the shop.

I have been dealing with payments this evening - just 2 people left to pay.

I will end with a picture that will make Ekatarina smile I am sure - well, it gave me some amusement.
Bill was fiddling with an art programme on the computer and came up with this......
I don't think it will make the short list for the Turner Art prize!