Saturday, April 05, 2008

 

5th April Racing back to Winter.

I sort of feel that the day has been dominated by horse racing.
We have been to a race course today and we have watched a horse race ...... but not at the same time!

The day was far less springlike than yesterday, but it didn't rain until early afternoon, but the chill wind had returned.
And slowly it looks like we are sliding back into winter, so we were determined to get out to a boot sale today.

There are regular car boot sales at Plumpton race course, an attractive setting under the South Downs.

It was quite busy, but I found little to buy - just a couple of books. Bill did much better - he bought 4 model Dinky cars, which may need a little restoration and some model railway signals and other bits.

We also bought a double duvet cover and 2 pillow cases for £2.

We were glad to get out of the wind and drive home after a good look round.

We got some lunch and turned on the TV - today there was horse racing from Aintree of course.

It is Grand National day.

Over lunch we watched one of the earlier races and as ususal I picked out a couple of horses, using instinct rather than knowledge. And as so often happens my horse came in second.

I sometimes wonder if I could actually make money from all the second places I seem to pick - not that we see as much horse racing as we used to.

The Grand National seems to command attention throughout the land. Many people who would never normally bet, try their luck for this one. The only time I have placed a bet was when we watched the race with friends who were regulars and understood the betting shop system. I went home with more money than I had paid out, so I reckoned that as I had beaten the bookies it was time for me to stop.

It is a long and dangerous race, the fences are huge and there are many fallers. Sadly it seems a regular occurence that a horse (or more than one) has to be put down as a result of a fall and this year was no exception.

There are 40 runners and less than half can expect to make it round.

I picked 4 horses - and until the closing stages I had 3 in contention, but 2 of them dropped back.

But of course one kept racing and guess where he came - second of course.

This horse was picked for name alone - King John's Castle. It was the only horse with a grandchild connection and so he had to be picked.

One day maybe we will have to go to a race meeting. I think horses are beautiful animals and the speed and power of the race must be thrilling. The ways of the betting world are a closed book to me, but must be fascinating to watch - with all the hand signals.

I have continued to sort out stock in the garage, getting it ready for a car boot sale. It has occurred to me that it would be a good idea to do a sale before the demise of Rocking Horse, because that might create a bit of space and empty some boxes which will be needed at the end of May.

We have eaten well from the large organic chicken that I bought yesterday and watched Dr Who.

When I talked with Ekatarina earlier on I asked her to tell me something good about today and she said eagerly that the new series of Dr Who would be starting. I am still not sure about the Doctor's new assistant, Catherine Tate - it is hard to forget her comic characters and believe in this one. I wonder what Ecky made of cute looking monsters called Adipose and created from people's execss fat!

Seeing that last apostrophe reminds me of a picture Ashley sent to me earlier.
And if you are not sure why I find this printed sign in a Bristol Tescos to be appalling then you obviously were not taught English grammar by somebody like me who tried to drum in correct use of apostrophes.
Mind you my English is of course not perfect and I do still make mistakes. And in the 21st century maybe we have to accept the anything goes, texting type of written English.
And maybe the bras and briefs should have been for more than one woman!
Well, I wonder what tomorrow will bring. The forecast talks of sleet and then light snow. So maybe it will be a lie in under the duvet in the morning.
I must now pay for 2 postcards won in EBay auctions. One was a "must have" card because it is of our road. The other is of a favourite village in Slovenia.
Goodnight.