Saturday, March 29, 2008

 

29th March Low tide at Littlehampton

Today gave me a glimpse of what it is like to be normal - it took me back to a time before..........
.........A time before the surgery which changed certain aspects of my life quite dramatically.
Since that time I have not really felt as I once did. I am so very tired.
I find physical activity wears me out very quickly.
I do hope that as the summer warmth begins to filter through that I will feel a greater freedom to live as I please.
And of course the summer begins right now. I have just reminded Bill about the need to put the clocks forward an hour - whoops, it is actually now my bedtime!
I shall enjoy the lighter evenings and for a while maybe the fact that dawn will come later might help me sleep longer.
This morning we were out of the house shortly after quarter to seven and on our way south to Ford (about a 45 minute drive).
And there they all were - the stall holders - as if nothing had changed in life over the last 5 months.
But my favourite house clearance man had changed - a big bushy beard has appeared.
But he still had the boxes strewn all over the ground full of somebody's trivial personal possessions, which they no longer needed.
There is a touch of sadness and not feeling quite comfortable as we browse, gradually feeling we were getting to know quite a lot about the old person who once had her drawers and cupboards full of these things.
I concentrated mostly on books of course - and then added some things for me - 3 tea towels, a jumper, a towel and would you believe it, a pair of knickers.
At night time now I am glad to wear old lady's bloomers with a longer leg to hold the tap and connector to the night bag more in place.
Too much personal information? I'm sorry - its just part of the new life.
We also bought a bag of cox's apples and a huge bag of Bramley cooking apples for £1 each. There will be enough stewed apple for the week.
I got tired walking around - and we only went round once. I was glad to get out of the wind and settle into the car seat. But not for long. We drove into Littlehampton for a walk and a light breakfast snack in The Balaton Cafe.
It was chilly but bright on the beach and the tide was further out than I have seen it before in Littlehampton, exposing a vast flat sandy beach below the sloping pebbles and shingle.
Here are some low tide at Littlehampton pictures..........














The birds are turnstones. They are beautiful in flight and fascinating to watch as they turn over the pebbles to seek out tasty morsels.
On the right we see the estuary of the River Arun and to the left is the beach and the open sea.
When we got home there was work to do.
I have written up my purchases and also dealt with a few EBay sales.
Do you remember how I grumbled about the difficulty of the jigsaw Blast Furnaces?
It was worth making the effort to sort it out - today it sold for just over £16, a good price for a 1950's card puzzle.
Ashley has told me of the church coffee morning which has left him with a bag full of bits and bobs for Katya. The good church ladies used to store the bric a brac behind a screen at the back of the church and now they can no longer do this - Health and Safety have deemed it to be a hazard. Today they were charging 10p an item in the hope of getting rid of it and the dear ladies gave quite a lot to Katya.
Jamie has been in touch with some lovely pictures - they'll be on the jjjj blog before long.
There was also news of a new car - yes, brand new!
Second hand cars can sell for very little less than new ones and this way he gets a better deal with a finance company and also free servicing for 3 years.
Its a big Toyota pick up truck with seats in front and the back - less tax on a pick up truck than a saloon car.
Bill is sitting at the other computer - not sure what he is up to. I think I shall have to remind him again about the changing of the clocks.
Ah - Bill has just given me info about Jamie's car. He is obviously surfing websites. No hope of clocks going forward then for a while!
The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good. It seems we might have yet another Sunday morning lie-in. Though no doubt there will be a peering through curtains just to check.
In the afternoon I am in the shop with Bill, standing in for Jo who is away for a few days.