Tuesday, March 25, 2008

 

25th March Quietly rocking.

Today has been a quiet day in Rocking Horse.

Despite the weather, there seem to have been lots of buyers in the shop yesterday (Easter Monday). But today there were few.

The first was a regular - a man who has asked others in the shop if Bill would split the box of Meccano he has for sale. Bill had been thinking that he ought not to do that. The man bought an instruction manual and then turned the thumb screws (not literally of course) on Bill who then agreed to sell the bits that the man wanted. He felt it was better to get back the money he had spent out now and hope for a bit more on the wooden box and other bits later.
So Bill had 2 lines on the sales sheet today - and there were only 3 more.

One item left me in a quandary rather like Bill had faced over the Meccano.
Joy was selling a pine stand with a drawer. She had already reduced it from £110 to £85, but the couple who were looking at it were offering £70.
I explained that I couldn't possibly make that decision without contacting the sellers first; but both their home phone and their mobile phone were providing me with only answerphone facilities.
The couple were disappointed and felt sure I should be able to use my own intelligence - and so I did.
I suggested that I would take a risk and let them have it for £75. I felt sure that at this stage in the shop's history Joy would rather have it sold than unsold.
And so then the couple had the task of fitting it in the boot of a low two seater sports car, which already had a huge dog as a passenger.
Fortunately when Joy and Peter popped in later they seemed content at what I had done - though we would all like to get the top price for things where possible.
Stella called in at the shop towards the end of the day - good to have some friendly company for a while and hear about folks from the athletics world.
Bill and Ashley were not far behind. Ashley had thought of going to London today but felt he would be better off saving money and energy.
We left at half a minute to five - that's the last time I will leave that early. After the clocks are put forward at the weekend to summer time we stay open until half past five.
We will have another quiet day tomorrow at home.