Monday, March 17, 2008

 

15th March. Down on the farm.

Saturday dawned grey.
I felt that as we were away from home and with family we ought to go out and do something interesting.
I knew I wasn't up to much walking so suggested we went into Devizes, although I wasn't sure what I wanted to do there.

But plans changed.
First Roger had a visitor and they needed to go together down to the museum, which Roger and Sue seem to have taken over the running of. Bill went into the village with them.



Here is Market Lavington church.

By the time they got back and we had had another cup of tea the rain had begun and anyway lunch would be ready at 1 0'clock.

We decided to take a stroll in the garden to see the animals. It wasn't so long ago that Roger and Sue kept livestock, but now the land is used by Adrian, a neighbour and old friend. Roger used to teach Adrian many years ago.
There were sheep and lambs in the barn and cows in the fields and flowers a plenty in the garden - a rural idyll you may think.
It was raining and I felt cold and to spoil the country atmosphere further we were strolling with the sounds of warfare up on the plain.
Salisbury Plain is used for army training. The roads travel across a terrain which advises of tank crossings ahead. Mostly Bill and I have seen little evidence or army manoevres, but on Saturday the soldiers were up on the plain all day in the rain, firing off enormous shells which exploded and landed with huge bangs, which shook the chairs we were relaxing in.









The sheep and lambs are a regular Spring treat at Locksands Farm.



It seems a short while since Adrian's son acquired calves, now sturdy cows out in the field.

This cow is called Daisy.
I was glad to get indoors to relax out of the rain.
In the afternoon we played an old favourite - Racing Demon.
It is a sort of patience game, but played in competition with others. The amount of players depends on who is there, how many packs of cards you have and how big the table is.
I think we have played with 8 packs of cards, but 3 required most of the concentration I had on Saturday.
It is fun of course.
But requires concentration and determination to win. I look determined to get my card on the pile before one of the others.
It does all make sense - honest!
After tea, Bill and I drove home in the rain - not too pleasant.
Today is Monday and my sinus infection continues to bother - as does Bill's. We both coughed and spluttered the night away.
I decided that yet again I should postpone my dental appointment.
I have had plans to get some more books described to list on EBay on Wednesday - but haven't got very far with that.
I spent time instead chatting with Jamie about Jessica's graduation from the kindergarten classes.
He has photos now on the jjjj blog - do have a look.