Wednesday, March 12, 2008

 

12th March Feeling weak and powerless.

No pictures or poems this evening.
It has been another marking time day.
As soon as I start to do something at home I cough until I feel I might split open.
The pressure in my head, on my eyes and cheek bones is quite severe so that I dread having to bend forward to pick something up.
Oh woe is me!

I don't know if Bill is a little ahead of me in the recovery stakes. He did feel able to get his boxes of model cars in from the garage this afternoon and sort them out a bit. This normally makes me want to do the same - normally I would have rushed headlong at all the clutter out in the garage and want it sorted within 24 hours.
It can wait.

It was the turn of North Wales to feel the effects of the storm today, though Ashley seemed to suggest that things were not really too bad and he hadn't needed the bus to take Ekatarina to school.
The only damage he was aware of was to a door in Ecky's classroom. The glass had been blown in by the force of the wind.

So not much power in the storm - and no doubt not much power to the budget that was on today.
Once upon a time, the budget was "an event", people would gather round the TV or radio to hear how we would be affected by the changes.
Will we be affected? I think not. So, alcohol and cigarettes are going up - will that alter anybody's habits? There will be a few grumbles of course - but grumbling about politicians is about all we can do.
Binge drinkers will still drink to excess.
Tax on petrol is not going up yet - but as the price of petrol and other fuels increases almost daily we won't really notice. We will grumble, but will continue to use our cars as much as before.
As old people, Bill and I will get an increase of £50 to the winter fuel allowance for electricity.
We shall end up spending it on plastic bin liners because supermarkets will not be allowed to have plastic carrier bags available for shopping, which we use as bin liners. And taxes on flights will increase, so it will cost more to go to Thailand and France or Slovenia or wherever we choose to go to.
In this country we seem to have become immune to price rises, they are as natural as the wind and the rain.

But at least we have a health service which is paid for from taxation and is therefore free to the user when they need it.

I used to care about politics. Now I am old and know that I am powerless to affect the way government and big business control the purse strings - so I think thats enough politics and economics from me.