Sunday, April 06, 2008

 

6th April. White shades of Winter in April.

The day began with a dull greyness.

And then it snowed; and for a few hours we enjoyed the atmosphere and the beauty of the snowy scenes and activities close to home.



Solly's tree and the field beyond.


Blossom and snow on Solly's tree.


The weeping flowering fruit tree. Compare this with the same Springtime view of this tree taken 2 days ago.

Almost a blizzard out the front.

Tulips in the snow.

Stunning!
A crystal of ice suspended by a web.
Congratulations to Bill for this one.


When the blizzard was over we went for a walk - not much of a walk really just a quarter of a mile or so to get some milk at the Tesco Express.

I called it Walk Through the Woods. But really it is just trees that lead to the main road.

The trees at the back of our house.

Another view of the trees at the back of our house.

As we walked we enjoyed the fruits of other people's fun - snowmen.
It was good to chat to people when we stopped. They were all fascinated to know that we have grandchildren who have never seen snow.

Mr Carrot Nose.

Mr. Snowcat.

Mr Ready for Anything.

Mr Dozy Snowman.
When we got back I got involved with snowman making myself, with a young German man who had built his snowman close to our house.
At first the snowman had no features and I went to get a carrot for him.
Then whoops! As I tried to press the carrot into the snow his head fell off and smashed!
Frantically I tried to sort him out.
Then the German man came back with stones for eyes and he quickly rolled another large snowball to make a new head.

My frantic efforts at rebuilding the snowman.

Now he is finished - facial features on a brand new head and buttons on his coat.
I get acquainted with "my" snowman.


I can see him from the dining room window as I write - waving to me in a friendly way.
The snow has already begun to melt. I think some will remain overnight as the temperature is sure to drop quite a lot - and there is a possibility of more light sleet or snow falls to come.
Winter doesn't feel so bad when the snow comes. People are more friendly and it feels good.
Though it wouldn't be so good where traffic can't get through or conditions became dangerous.