Sunday, February 24, 2013

 

Half term holiday.

It was our half term holiday.
It was really good except for one or two things going wrong.
Last Wednesday I tripped and went flying - landed flat on my face and my right hand presumably somewhere underneath my body which smashed down on top of it.
Ouch! Ouch! and Triple ouch!
I was pretty shaken up and hurting.
No way I was going to walk across the causeway to the lighthouse.
My hand is much improved now - still a bit blue. And blue has developed round my eyes.....where my glasses dug into my face. Thank goodness the glasses didn't break.
My health felt OK that day - I had enjoyed a walk in the biting wind at Seaton Sluice....much prettier than it sounds.
The others had already developed colds.
Mine came a bit later.
I am just hoping that today has been its peak.....throbbing headache, sneezes and coughs dominate.
But despite colds we had plans for Saturday.
The snows thwarted us.
It wasn't so very much......about 3 inches on Saturday morning.
But we took it as an omen that we ought to stay home in the warm and rest.
Apart from a trip to Curry's and then Homebase - better for A and L to be able to buy needed things when a car is available.
We watched Skyfall at home - the latest James Bond film. More interesting in concept than some.
We had already enjoyed two days exploring before the snows of Saturday (and Sunday). We visited the Baltic Modern Art Gallery.....no, not art from the Baltic. It is housed the the old Baltic flour warehouse.
Liked some of it.
Walked along The Tyne to Ouseburn and then climbed to Byker.
On Friday we went to Woodhorn - a museum and art gallery featuring the coal mining of the area.
Enjoyed Northumbrian bagpipe music in the cafe.
Found a great farm shop on the way home.
Journey back today......no snow south of York.
Journey took just a few minutes over 6 hours, including a stop for a bite and a drink.
I look forward to sorting photographs on Tuesday.
Tomorrow is a shop day. Wish it might be warmer!
Now for a hot drink and bed.