Saturday, July 07, 2012

 

Power struggles on and off the court.

That was a tiring day.
It wasn't the customers or the sales really, it was finding the right way of making our colleague feel happy.
I felt a bit defensive and snappy when she first came in because within the first half hour she had verbally attacked both of our normal Monday crew - our regular colleagues.
I don't like family rows - and very fortunately have never had to learn how to cope with such things.
There are differences, of course, between family members - but holding grudges and bitterness is pointless.
An antiques centre is very like a family - or it should be.
But there are one or two minor power struggles lurking in the background at our shop.
It doesn't affect me really - I do what I want, keep smiling and try to support everybody I meet. But I do mostly want to support those who are closest to me.
Today there has been supporting of customers. Saturday people  come in with less idea of what they want to find than Monday people.
But one young man wanted a small trinket for his mother - we found a tiny pewter egg which split to reveal a deep blue padded cushion. We then looked for significant tiny things to put in the egg - he wanted three. We found a collection of silver charms - he picked out a shoe (the old woman who lived in a shoe represented his mother), a dog - her trusty companion and a rugby player - her sons.
That was a lovely search with a lovely young man.
And I am watching other lovely young men right now - gone 9 o'clock and I am watching the men's doubles final at Wimbledon. Before I finish rambling I might be able to tell you that Marray has become champion.
Yes, Marray - not a typing error. Murray plays tomorrow.
Just one more game - maybe!
It's over!
What a fairy story!
Marray (British) and his Danish partner were qualifiers and lucky to get into the first round draw.
Now they are Wimbledon champions. I loved it.
I was mentioning family earlier - seems an age ago, having been caught up with such a beautiful sporting drama. The hat is being passed around the family.