Thursday, June 28, 2012

 

Job more than half done - and tales of a storm

Well, after yesterday's fiasco, I can assure you that i now know the day of the week and the actual date!

And on this Thursday, the alarm was set for half past five - people are already queueing to sell at Ford at that time; but we felt we would be just as well off really to arrive by about quarter past seven.
We were towards the back of the queue of course. The only disadvantage really is that our stall has to be a long way from the loos!
It had been my notion to tell the story of the day in photographs; but the truth is that the lack of photographs also tells the story of the day. For the most part, there just wasn't time.
The first half hour or so was  crazy.
People are rifling through boxes in the car, lifting boxes out of the car - and if they were not finding things to buy, would be a complete nuisance.
We had taken 13 boxes and extra things that wouldn't fit into boxes.
Why was I wanting to sell - all these other dealers were determined to have my stuff. Stuff that had been on the shelves in Dorking for far too long, or stuff that I thought wasn't really good enough for Dorking.
They obviously had other ideas.
Eventually things calmed down. I was happier once we had got everything out of the car  - and the people!
We had time for some drink - much needed on a really hot and muggy day.
And we found some time to chat to our neighbours.
The stall looked far less interesting by this time.
We packed up before half past eleven - only had 5 boxes now.
We were exhausted!
We drove into Littlehampton and slumped into the chairs at our usual table. Food and drink was brought to us, almost wordlessly.  Bless them - I finished my first cup of tea and muttered to Bill that I could hardly find the energy to go and ask for more water. I looked up and there was a jug of boiling water being brought to me. No wonder we feel at home there.
We walked by the river and saw the sea. I threw some bread to the swans and gulls. But we felt rather lifeless at this stage.
We drove home and sank into our chairs and watched some tennis - eventually I found the oomph to make a succession of cups of tea.
And I counted out our takings. We had taken £255. Very pleased.
Andy Murray won his tennis match  - pleased about that too.
Whilst we have had a hot dry day, others have been less fortunate.
The phone call from Newcastle brought us a commentary on the weather, with local radio telling us of the effects in the back ground.
Traffic was either proceeding with extreme care, or not at all. The Metro was not functioning well, with some flooding on the west side and landslides to the east.
All this under a black, yellow green sky with torrential rain.



From BBC news  web page.











This is the main road in Fawdon.
Ashley's small road is off this road.
He said this evening there has been blue skies and sunshine.










http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkua3S0hhQQ
Somebody was so thrilled with their brief filming of the storm that they put it on YouTube.
And now, we are planning to another car boot sale on Saturday - not at the same venue.
I have clothes and shoes to get sorted.
And I can find more redundant stock.
This time we will let things go at extreme rock bottom prices.
Today, generally my prices ensured that I didn't make a loss.
But the last things can go at any price - we will get come money and all the space back in the garage.
And a period of relaxation without thinking about when and where we would get around to setting up a stall.
Not much eating has gone on this evening - good thing too, really.
I have been keeping an eye on the tennis and the football.
Time for another cup of tea, I think.