Friday, June 22, 2012

 

Friday pottering and pondering

Shopping - how come we spent so much this week?
Too late now.
This morning I entertained a woman doing a survey - it was quite long and complicated. It concerned the services that our town council provides.
Which ones would horrify me to be cut?
And then if I had a little more to spend, where would I spend it? I had to do that 3 times.
Then I was provided with a package of services - which package did I like the best? This involved deciding which items I would be most prepared to sacrifice.
It didn't cover every service.
But when I had to make decisions I realised that the look of the town was very important to me.
I didn't want good planting and floral displays cut. It is something the town does well.
I wanted streets cleaned more often.
Though what I really would wish is that the streets didn't need cleaning - I do not understand how people can just drop items of rubbish as they walk along.
It was a challenging survey.







This a picture of The Memorial Gardens, set right in the middle of the town centre, adjacent to the shopping mall.
I truly believe that to have the wonderful  parks and gardens - and all the baskets of flowers increase a feeling of well being amongst the people - maybe only subconsciously.

I didn't really get going with much this afternoon.
I sold 3 things on EBay.
And my printing of treasured photos I have taken is up to date.

Whilst we have had a home day, others have been travelling. Our niece from Australia is back home, after a whirlwind 3 weeks of activity. Ruth has gone to The Isle of Wight.....by train and ferry. The festival will be fun - but the mud and floods look to be horrendous. She posted a picture of her and 2 friends drinking champagne on Barnham Station.
And from far away came a lovely picture of our grand daughter looking so very grown up.

I wish I was seeing her this year - and her brother and parents of course.
It just seemed more sensible to wait until April of next year.

















Weather looks to be tolerably OK tomorrow. We will go to a car boot sale at Shoreham, walk by the river and have breakfast at Shoreham Airport and go to their vistitors' centre.