Monday, June 18, 2012

 

Life in the shop.

Monday - our day to look after the antiques centre.
Bill and I were the only ones on duty today. I doubt that Julie will ever return - though nothing has yet been decided. Monika had to attend a medical appointment with her daughter.
It wasn't long before Iris came in with a huge grin on her face.
Iris buys things for me - mainly at the Dorking boot sale. I then buy from her. She makes some profit and so do I....and it saves me going to that car boot sale.
Often she doesn't quite hit the mark with her buying. I refuse what I really have no hope with. But I like her and admire her - Iris is 85 and likes to make life interesting.
"I know you will like what I have found this week", she beamed.
She was right.
It was Homemaker china - the epitome of everyday 1950s style.
She had of course paid quite highly for it. There is not much profit it in for either of us. But I am happy to have some more because it attracts buyers.
The new china needed to be displayed straight away.....so I had to re-arrange a bit to fit it in and make things look good.        
Apologies if you find large gaps in this posting. Why are they there? It has been fine for a long time now.
I am much too tired to try any more to put it right.
Maybe Jamie can do it for me.... (edit) Done my best!
    The Homemaker china in on the right hand side of the shelf; and there are 2 trios (plate cup and saucer) on the table.

That's a 1960s plastic handbag behind the trios.
















                                                                                                                                                                   








Jo's hats.


But the hat she sold today was for a man.


























He assured me the beard would be gone by Friday!  
I remember such a hat being in my childhood.  
As far as I remember, it was nothing more than a dressing up item. I was fascinated by the fact that it folded flat and by tapping the brim it would open up into a hat again. 
Jo also sold a large leather suitcase later in the afternoon.   
There is always variety in the shop - both the stock and the customers.
Days can be full of life or gentle.
We have had time today for cups of tea - and nibbling. I was obliged to buy 2 packs of delicious cookies in Sainsbury's! The packs cost £1 each .......special offer, 2 for £1.