Saturday, June 30, 2012

 

Jessie birthdays.

There are 2 birthdays today which touch my life. They are both a part of my family.
Both birthdays are for girls called Jessie.
The births span 112 years.
I thought of my grandmother Jessie this morning. I never met her and my mother hardly knew her. She died in 1930. We have just about got to the time when I can no longer think, with some emotion, that she could be still alive and I could have known her. Few people live to 112, but it is possible.
I wonder what I would have made of her - and she, me.
I will never know if the feelings I have that a lot of me came from her are correct.

We have almost no photos of Jessie.
This is her wedding day, of course. She was just 20.
It may be wishful thinking, but I see me in her face -
I carry her name (sort of) - Jessica sounds more formal and grander than Jessie and that is what my parents wanted for me.
I also see some of my grand daughter Jessica (often known as Jessie) in the face too.

















Now, to Jessie number 2.
Born this morning at 10.15.
She is no blood relation to my grandmother Jessie. Jessie Lee is the daughter of our niece on Bill's side of the family. Bill's sister, Pam is her grandmother.




Have a good life, Jessie. You have been born into a special family.
We are proud of our new great niece.

We have been busy. We woke up and had doubts about going out - there had been quite a bit of rain.
But suddenly blue sky appeared and we decided to risk selling at a car boot sale.


By the time I took the photo much had gone.
But I see clothes are still on the ground.
Later on I was able to move all the clothes up on to the tables.
I have counted the money and crossed out all the items which sold.
And also crossed out the items which are now ready to go to a charity chop on Monday.
The job is complete.
The garage has space in it - not enough for a car, of course.
I like the feeling of clearing the decks and being ready to make a fresh start.
Having arrived late we set up stall in the last row facing the open field - very pleasant.





Chicken is roasting in the oven. We can open a bottle of wine and wish the Jessies a happy birthday.