Tuesday, July 17, 2012

 

Our day with the torch.

This posting will not be the one I would really like to do this evening. I would like to share with you every moment and every photo.
Tomorrow!
And no - it won't be every photo!
This morning we joined the crowds outside our house. There were already  very many people with an hour to go before the Olympic torch would be passing.
This was the first leg of the relay on this 60th day of the Olympic relay.
Time to chat.
Time to take pictures of people.
And finally a moment to take a picture of the torch.


I can't enlarge this anymore.
It is a very small part of a much bigger picture.
I held the camera in the air and hoped.










I had always been determined that I would see the torch twice on this special day.
We had a little breakfast and went to Lewes.
We were there in plenty of time.
We ate a roll and had a drink at the side of the road; then we took our positions on the kerb. Children could come in front of us.....but nobody else!
We had to wait for getting on for 2 hours.....
plenty of time for chatting with all sorts of lovely people.
There was a fantastic drum band to entertain us.


I love this picture.
I love the boy's hand made Olympic torch.
There were a few such torches about.
There was a lovely one by me this morning in Crawley, which was electric and a bulb could be lit.

























Then, when I thought my back would seize up and felt so achy after standing for so long, it was time for the Olympic torch entourage to pass by.

































It was still hard to get a good picture.
Poor Bill - just at the critical moment a boy, who had been a trifle irritating for a while, raised his blue plastic clapper thing - which Samsung had given out in their hundreds. Bill has a close up of the end of a blue plastic clapper thing!
The torch bearer was gone in a flash.

The thing we most needed at this point were chairs!
And a cup of tea.
We went to the needle and candlemaker's building, which is now a complex of little craft shops and a lovely tea shop.
Relief!
Then we had a walk about the town. Lewes is great.
And then what good fortune we met our Olympic torch bearer. I think his name is Tom.
His torch had now been decommissioned.
I told him about my Olympic collection......and I now have this picture to frame and put amongst the treasures from Olympics back through the years that are in the bedroom.


































That was a wow moment for me - made the day perfect!

Perfection and bliss was increased when we bought ice creams and sat on a bench on the little humped bridge over the river to eat them.
Mine was home made fig ice cream.
Fantastic.
The little shop owner says she is always looking for new ice creams to make and had made the fig only last Saturday.

I am so glad we made a real effort to make this day so very worth while.
We are with the torch again on Friday......and guaranteed front row positions, because we are marshalls.
I believe that marshalls are there to watch the crowds of course - but I have a photograph today of a marshall taking a picture. Maybe Friday is a job for the little camera.