Thursday, April 19, 2012

 

Trip to outer edges of the metropolis.

Newcastle must wait.....and I have more to share in due course.
Today we have been to the outskirts of London - once upon a time this would have meant isolated rural villages and river crossing points; now they are suburbs - attractive in parts and pretty busy.
First we met Libby - one of the "girls" I was at college with.
We went to the Hand and Flower pub in Ham for lunch.
Ham was developed, by the River Thames, in the 17th century round an attractive village green and nobility in Ham House. There are large Georgian houses and pretty terraced cottages. In more recent years it has expanded to include a housing estate.
The pub was pleasant with friendly service. The food was nothing special....maybe because we all opted for bottom end of the menu price range.

Photo not taken today - there were some real dark skies today.
We spent the rest of the afternoon back at Libby's talking and drinking tea.
Then we negotiated the rush hour traffic for the short journey to Kingston to find Angie's house.
Angie was wishing to part with cabinets that she has used in an antiques centre in the past.
We have the parts for 2 - perhaps not all the parts; and definitely we are without the shelves. I am hoping that Angie has merely overlooked them.
The journey back home was pretty awful - until we were able to turn away from the main suburban roads and cut across country.
When I was at college - just beyond Ham and Kingston, Bill could drive up to see me in 45minutes. That was in the early 60s. Now it takes at least half an hour more than that.
Life has thrown up yet another health issue - not serious and easily dealt with, if I am right.
I believe that some nasty side effects have started to show up as a result of taking tablets for osteoporosis.
My jaw is painful, inside and out. My eyes are sore and painful too.  These are  known side effects but not very common. If I have started to experience osteonecrosis of the jaw, then I presume I can control this by not taking the tablets. I see the doctor - not Dr O sadly - in about 10 days. I was told that Dr O is away for some weeks - I do hope he hasn't a health problem of his own.