Friday, March 02, 2012

 

Temple and Leelawadee Flower.

Five years ago I was in a situation when I couldn't really plan ahead too much.
But one plan had been made and I was determined it would happen. Despite my doctors wanting me to start treatment for another cancer without delay, I travelled to Thailand.
Hooray! It was wonderful.
I returned to treatment and then major surgery. But here I am - enjoying life very much.
I took the picture that is my screen saver 5 years ago today.

























It was a moving day for me - poignant and full of thoughts of life and death.
This small temple has been restored and has a beautiful garden now. It is at Kamala (Phuket) - a place very badly hit by the tsunami.
It is also the place where my son and his family - toddler daughter and nearly full term pregnant wife had been the day before the tsunami.
Lots of horrible "What ifs?" were in my head.
But, like me, they have survived.
Surviving impels us to grasp life and relax to enjoy each day.

I have enjoyed this day - but lazily. This afternoon I worked on wrapping things. Some more antique ephemera will soon be on its way to new homes and collections - some of it for quite high prices, I thought.

I was annoyed to learn that Julie had gone home from hospital yesterday with a poor result. I had worried very much about this. She arrived home in an ambulance to an empty house. A neighbour came in and found that Julie was not able to do anything for herself. Despite having been tested on stairs at the hospital, once home she became weak and dizzy and managed only 4 stairs before almost collapsing.
The ambulance had to return and take her back.
Today her daughter in France emailed me with lengthy justifications for not being able to sort things out for her mother. I can see that it is awkward to get somebody into a care home even just for respite care, when they refuse vehemently.
Maybe I should begin to sort such things now. whilst I am active and happy.
One day it might be me, alone and with offspring far away. From my present standpoint I feel that I might enjoy the social life of a good care home.

Sadly it looks like the weather this weekend will be rather different from that which we enjoyed last weekend at the sublime wedding.
Rain is forecast for tomorrow morning.
Bother!
I was really looking forward to a car boot sale hunting trip. I need more antique ephemera!