Tuesday, March 06, 2012

 

Rambling hither and thither.

Tuesday - typically a day to sort a few things out. The Things to Do list was made and I have actually ticked off lots of things.
But ironing has had to be transferred to tomorrow's list.
I've made a few phone calls - mustn't forget my friends.
French Julie was delighted to hear from me. She is at home - coping, just about. The care package seems to entail a woman going in 3 times a day to giver her some pills.
She is bored and depressed.
It is always hard when somebody starts to talk about their desire to not to be a part of this world any more.
She feels sure that she will never leave her house again and rather wishes the roof would just cave in and she could be no more.
But her voice was strong and she obviously felt some pleasure in our conversation and knowing a little of what was going on in the world outside.
I have put more books onto EBay - books about small towns and villages. I learn so much as I research a little to describe them. Sometimes I have to just find out where the place are.
I spent a long time with a book about somewhere I  know well - Redhill.
I have been there - used to go to the swimming pool there in my teens. I triumphed at a speech and drama festival one year with my reading of a Robert Frost poem. We have bought and sold at car boot sales there.
Bill's uncle Bill (who died in the 1950s) and Auntie Connie and their daughters lived there.
If ever I get inspired on genealogy then Connie's family, whilst not being blood relatives, would be fascinating.
Her family were artists. Connie had talent. Her daughter, Brenda (Bill's cousin now living in Brittany)  now holds exhibitions and sells her pictures.
Connie was grand daughter of a quite well known artist George Pyne. Her aunt married De Breanski - another well known and still collected 19th century artist.
Yes I must follow them up.
I am sure Brenda has most of the facts.
Now, how did I get here? Ah yes - I was describing a book about Redhill wasn't I.
Time for a cup of tea and maybe a bit of TV.