Thursday, March 15, 2012

 

East Head - Sussex by the Sea.

Where am I?
I am in West Sussex. I am facing the sea on a sandy beach.....and I am facing north.
My friend, Mags, knew. Her family no doubt went to the same spot.
My family never did. I have commented before that my father was an East Sussex man and on the days out we had - travelling by train, it was to the east that we went.
I also have a sort of feeling that my parents felt that some places were full of hordes of trippers who were of some alien species to their good selves.
Here is an aerial view showing where we have been today.



























Does that help those who might be baffled?
We have been to East Head - a spit of land that almost seems to have been pushed round the corner by the waves.
The main beach, of course, faces south. The end of the spit of land faces north.
The nearest village is West Wittering.
The sky was blue, the tide was out. We walked across the wide, wide sandy beach. I was entranced.
The land itself was a huge sand dune - bleak at times, I expect.
How wonderful to explore yet another Sussex feature that we had known nothing of before this week; I had heard of West Wittering of course - but East Head was a revelation.
It felt so good to be alive.
This was specially so after a tragedy at the Ford car boot sale.
Just after we arrived ambulances rushed in. A man had collapsed, having had a heart attack.We saw him on the ground, paramedics doing their very best for him.
Sadly, the ambulances had to drive away carrying a body and a grieving wife.
Everybody was left thinking about it; perhaps slightly nervous and guilty that life was carrying on as usual.
Everybody had felt the shock of facing mortality and knowing that they should strive hard to make the most of each day.
We have certainly done that.
I felt blessed to be able to me on this day - exploring and enjoying.
We went into Chichester for lunch......having seen that fish and chips at a cafe in the village would have cost £12.00 (for one). I am sure the meal would have been beautifully cooked and presented - but that was more than we could justify.
We headed towards The Dolphin (Wetherspoons) in Chichester. It was packed out and noisy. We didn't stay.
Close by is West's Bar in the old disused church that we visited once before.
It was quite lovely in there.
The drive home was lovely too - Sussex was looking really good in the afternoon sunlight.
We called in at Goodwood Farm Shop - we bought sausages from pigs reared on the farm and eggs from a farm at Byworth, just along the road.
The sausages were absolutely excellent - half left until tomorrow.
Photographs are still in the cameras.
We are tired out. Fresh air and exercise and a very long day have left us desiring to doze very soon.