Thursday, March 08, 2012

 

A day of exploration.

Lovely, lovely day.....and it's not over yet.

We left home at 7 o'clock and browsed the many stalls at Ford. I didn't actually buy very much, but it was pleasant. Bill bought more than me today.
Then we set off on an adventure.
We have been places we have never been to before - all in Sussex.
I had picked out 3 villages which I thought might be worth visiting and we explored them under blue skies, with bright sunshine.
First we were in Walburton - perhaps 5 miles from Ford.
It is a developing village, with new housing and also much history. We walked and took photographs and visited the church. Lovely.
Then, on to Slindon. I know that I did go there once with my parents to visit somebody they knew - a teacher who had been at the Ifield school, I think.

Next, over Bury Hill and down the other side to the village of Bury....a long straggling lane that winds down to the old church by the River Arun.Today we explored. It is a large village with lots of interesting houses and features. I don't suppose the villagers think it lacks heart, but we saw no shop or no pub. There is a school and a village hall.
Even without Littlehampton, we have walked alongside the River Arun. The sun shone and all was beautiful.
By this time we were well past elevenses time.
What would have when we got to Pulborough Brooks Bird Reserve? Just a cuppa and  a piece of cake? No - fantastic jacket potato with home made chicken curry (with fresh pineapple) and loads of salad. We sat outside at first, enticed by the sunshine. The view was lovely - down the meadow to a grazing herd of deer and beyond over the flood plain and the river. But the wind was chilly, so we went back inside to finish our meal. Then we chatted with a volunteer and watched a water rail and a moorhen wandering about the meadow outside the window - greedy for the seeds thrown down for the smaller birds.
Then home to rest.
Nothing done on my Things to Do List.
I have not yet looked at my photographs of the day.
This evening we are off to the theatre - the Barn Theatre. Our nephew is performing in a modern play with a difficult theme; perhaps not as entertaining as The Barn normally do; but everybody needs to stretch themselves - both the actors and the audience.
Tomorrow there will be photos - I just love showing off how beautiful my land can be.